Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I went to refuel, I couldn't get my gas cap open with the key. Luckily I had enough gas to make it to my destination and back. I tried to remove the cover with an alan wrench (the bolts around the silver-ish ring) but had no luck.

Somehow this morning with the key I got it open and was able to refuel. I forced the key down and turned at the same time.

I'm afraid that this will happen again in 230miles. Has anyone else experienced this problem? My bike is still under warranty, so I'll probably have them take a look at it unless it's just a simple lubrication needed.

Thanks,
David
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When closing the gas cap, don't touch the key, just push down on the cap, key will turn and just pull out. If you try and close it by turning the key it can screw it up.

I use Teflon spray lube down the key hole with a straw, or WD-40, both will help free the lock up.

Machog

·
Registered
451 Posts
happening here too...will try your recomendations

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has done it too. A little WD-40 and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Mine did the same thing so I sprayed a little of the Dupont Teflon spray it and it works great now!

Reactions: jaaklucas

·
Registered
19 Posts
my bike did it too, only there was a lot of corrosion in there and on the little flap that covers the key hole, it appeared in the form of white powder, i soaked it heavily in wd-40, so far it works fine, i think the problem is that since the versys gets such good mileage combined with a big tank, it could be two weeks of riding between fillups.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Same here

my bike did it too, only there was a lot of corrosion in there and on the little flap that covers the key hole, it appeared in the form of white powder, i soaked it heavily in wd-40, so far it works fine, i think the problem is that since the versys gets such good mileage combined with a big tank, it could be two weeks of riding between fillups.
Mine has been really hard to get out and in a few times, but for the most part, it works OK. I noticed the white powder stuff around the keyhole too. It's aggravating - I never had the problem with the cap lock on the Ninja.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pressing down on the front of the petrol (gas) cap is the reccommended way of opening and closing the cap, according to the handbook, as its kind of spring loaded. I think several folk on the UK forums have bent or even snapped the key in the cap lock.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is Your Key BENT? Mine got twisted when I used it on the seat lock once and then I had issues with the gas cap until I made it straight.

Juast a thought

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Pressing down on the front of the petrol (gas) cap is the reccommended way of opening and closing the cap, according to the handbook, as its kind of spring loaded. I think several folk on the UK forums have bent or even snapped the key in the cap lock.
It's how I do it & never had a problem...

·
Registered
852 Posts
The first fill up in the spring I had this problem. I did the same as others and sprayed some dupont teflon in the lock and worked it with the key. At first I thought I was going to break the key but that didn't happen. Since then I purchased stronger keys from someone selling them on the forum. They are made from steel and have a smaller head which I prefer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for these recommendations. Yes I generally push down to relieve some of the stress. I guess the lubrication will help. Where do you get this dupont teflon? Home Depot? Auto parts store? Should I make sure not to drip any on the painted tank and not to get any in the tank, or is that a big deal?

It's very frustrating to have the gas cap get stuck when you're in a hurry and in need of a quick fill up!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
The teflon lube can be found at Lowe's. I use it to lube my chain and I happened to have some with me at the gas station. If you use the included red straw you should easily be able to lube up the lock with out getting any on the gas tank. I don't think it would be a big deal if you did get some on the tank but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

I haven't used the graphite myself but it should work great as well.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Pushing down while turning the key also works well when unlocking the seat. And Lock-Ease or powdered graphite are the only things that should be used to lubricate a lock. Anything else will attract dirt and grit and give trouble later.

·
Registered
587 Posts
+1 on Lock -ease. Stuff works great. I also recommend a product called Tri-Flow. Use this teflon spray on a lot of things at home. I don't recommend WD-40, it's somewhere between 80-90% penetrating oil, what little is left is lubrication. WD-40 is however great starting fluid for your lawnmowers! Try it and you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Any good locksmith shop will have both graphite and Lock-Ease.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts