Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Garmin Touchscreen Problem

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  HAWKSHOT99 
#1 ·
I have a Garmin Zumo 450. After many years of touching it with my leather gloves it has become quite worn. Now when I try to use it, it is basically impossible. The gloves have worn it to here there is marks over the areas that get touched the most. It causes the GPS to have false touches on the screen, and basically locks me out as I cant enter the proper password.

I am guessing I just need to replace the outer screen, but not sure where to get parts.

#3 ·
I got my nuvi 550 replaced for $99. You have to be patient with the customer service line. They are a little slow picking up the call. However, once you get through their service agents are really good. You have to call and get an RMA number before you can send it out. I got my replacement unit back less than a week after I send it.

#4 ·
Well after doing a bunch of searching online I have discovered that my problem is not uncommon with the zumos. The problem is the "digitizer" screen starts peeling.

Here is a thread on ADVRider about the problem, and the way to fix it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12703063&postcount=3

Here is a new touchscreen on EBAY for $27.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330732224800&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

So I will do that route rather than send it to Garmin for over $100

#5 ·
It doesnt seem like many people on here have problems with their Garmin screen, but if any body starts to have the screen look like its pealing, it is a simple fix. Just follow the link to the instructions on repairing for far less than paying Garmin to do it.

I have $27 invested in the repair, plus $5 because I had to buy a torx bit to open the Garmin case. Took me 30 mins to repair the screen.

#7 ·
What did they charge you, and how old was the GPS?

#11 ·
Yup. Found your instructions on ADVRider to help me through it.

#9 ·
My 450 is getting long in the tooth so the DIY repair info is very valuable. Thanks!

Also, though not applicable for the above, before going down any repair route don't forget to try re-calibrating the screen. Turn the zumo off. Press and hold the power button until prompted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.