Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a Zumo 550 for a few years now. I don't use it often especially when I am between bikes. I’m going on a road trip next week and decided to dig it out of mothballs. Upon start up, It advised me that my Streets and Maps were outdated and I should really update. I figured that sounds logical so I proceeded to the update. I just about loaded my drawers when I found out they want $70.00 for a one time update. Then, to make it a complete @$$-Schlacking, my state wants $8.00 in a “download tax.” Call me a cheap bastard, but I will use a $2.00 map.
Does anyone else think this is outrageous? I can see spending big bucks to update a G-1000 panel in an airplane, but this seems crazy? And $8.00 to download? NO WAY!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I took advantage of a sale at Amazon.com and got a lifetime map update for about what your one time costs. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to do the download, but it's a lot easier if you put the map on an SD card. I have all of the US and Canada on an 8GB SD with room for the maximum number of MP3 titles (1,000) and there's still room for sharing routes.

I use the $2 maps, too, because there are some things you can't see on a small screen, but having updated digital maps is really handy.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I took advantage of a sale at Amazon.com and got a lifetime map update for about what your one time costs. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to do the download, but it's a lot easier if you put the map on an SD card. I have all of the US and Canada on an 8GB SD with room for the maximum number of MP3 titles (1,000) and there's still room for sharing routes.

I use the $2 maps, too, because there are some things you can't see on a small screen, but having updated digital maps is really handy.
+1...paper maps are great for seeing where you are going and what is around your route.

I also went with the lifetime subscription...never heard of a download tax.:(

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Download is free at least for us here. Why not try Garmin main page and see if they have free updates.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Download is free at least for us here. Why not try Garmin main page and see if they have free updates.

Maps are free or software updates? We pay for map updates, but software updates are free.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am discovering.....( DUCK and COVER!!!! 'soapbox' survey...INCOMING!!!!)
THAT....young folk can't read a map because they are addicted to there GPS's.
They hear the directions, follow them to the letter and get lost anyway.
WHY? you ask, they don't have a clue where "North" is AND, by listening to a bloody computer tell them where to go............they have become passengers; passengers behind the wheel!
Even when they have taken the same route over say a 50 mile path, They can't find there way when they forget there 'Garmin's' because they pay no attention what so ever to landmarks, alternative routes, free way signs, none of it....must be staring at the bumper in front of them!!! ( waiting for a little voice to tell them where to go).
They are ...directionally crippled.
They have been dumbed down.

We need a new commandment...Man shall not created a machine in the image of mans mind!

No thank you....
I shall look at a map....cuz if you don't use your mind....you will lose it.

Just one mans opinion...I'll shut up now.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Just one man's opinion...
I'll shut up now.
Thank You sir:D

BTW we still use Maps and the garmin is mainly for cities where the lanes changes everyday, at least in Kuala Lumpur, so best get the latest news and a voice telling which direction. A little help doesn't hurt for Old age.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Thank You sir:D

BTW we still use Maps and the garmin is mainly for cities where the lanes changes everyday, at least in Kuala Lumpur, so best get the latest news and a voice telling which direction. A little help doesn't hurt for Old age.

Understood......but us older guys and gals all learned to read a map too....so the gps devices works for our generation...just a tool to make it all easier for us.

But me thinks that that's not the case with the kids on the road today.....just another crutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts