Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been carrying a garage door opener in my jacket pocket. But with winter here and all the extra gear it’s a bit hard to hit the button through the jacket with gloves on. They make integrated units for a bike but they cost like $85!!!

So I made my own solution. I bought one of these 12v waterproof switches with a green LED. This particular model comes with a nice clip on pigtail.

https://www.amazon.com/Quentacy-Mom...dpPl=1&dpID=410iuxGxhhL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I put it on my console and ran some phone wire back under the seat. Splicing into the diagnostic wiring with my gear indicator harness, gets me power to the LED and the other two wires are for the remote. I soldered the leads to the remote board, put it back together, and clipped it to the tool kit bungee. This way I can still get to the battery for easy replacement.

Voila!! Garage door opener with a cool illuminated button in easy reach!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,292 Posts
I'm lazy. So i just took an old Motowerk's GPS Mounting Plate and some Velcro to attach my Garage Door opener along with my Drift Camera Remote and Voltmeter to the plate then used a ram mount to attach to the handlebars...

Crash Damage 8/8/2017 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
90 Posts
I considered an opener like this one but decided the maintenance would be too pricey. :wink2::grin2:

Reactions: tngw1500se

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
nice job .I bought the flash2pass garage door opener a couple years ago . One of the best farkles I bought for the bike . Opened the garage door with the high beam switch.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i have the honk to open garage door opener =p i honk my horn and my room mate or husband open the garage door for me lol

Reactions: Skypilot 69

·
Registered
972 Posts
I don't have a garage door opener on the current bikes storage spot but when I did have one and was riding a Suzuki C50 that had a flash-to-pass button I just wired the opener thru a relay to the opener. Worked great.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 2 garage door openers , they sit on my hand grips. :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not too long ago I had to replace my garage door opener so I bought one that is wifi connected and have an app on my phone that I can open and close the garage door from literally anywhere. I just pull up the app when I get home. One less item too have to find a mounting location and way to mount it.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
I have 2 garage door openers , they sit on my hand grips. :grin2::grin2:
Gotcha beat Jim! I've got three - same two as you, plus one I carry in my chest pocket of my Hi-Vis vest....

:wink2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took a push button that I got from JP Cycles that is a replacement for the little button that cycles through the odometer on a Harley Electra glide and soldered it onto a spare garage door opener. I put a small whole in the faring under the handlebars and double taped the opener under the faring where the cut outs are. If the opener should get toasted just need a quick trip to the hardware store for a replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts