Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’ve had my 2019 Versys 650 around 6 months. I bought it used with 5K miles and I have noticed gaps in some of the plastic seams in various locations. Can anyone confirm this is normal? Doesn’t appear to be a big deal but I wanted to check and make sure. So much plastic on this thing is a little scary!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can't say for sure on the tail section, but you shouldn't have that large of a gap on the top of the dash. It looks like it was not popped back in to place properly when it was put back together.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
FYI water = corrosion. The MK-3 seems to have more sensitivity to water damage on the vehicle down sensor. Much of your electrical is exposed up there. I would definitely fix that, on the dash. FYI the push pins are just that, paper clip or jewelers screwdriver, just push the pin in slightly then pop the complete assembly up / pull out with fingernails.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Fron part (dash) gap try to fix that.
Raise windscreen on maximum. and you have 2 screw to remove and 2 plastic push pin, and than you can remowe front plastic, it is 5 minute job.

Between that 2 plastic are foam for reducing vibration / rattling, maybe somebody who try to assembly that parts bent that foam and you get that gap.

For rear part i don't know how to remove gap I never try to disassemble that plastics.
This is how rear part look on my V650.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fron part (dash) gap try to fix that.
Raise windscreen on maximum. and you have 2 screw to remove and 2 plastic push pin, and than you can remowe front plastic, it is 5 minute job.

Between that 2 plastic are foam for reducing vibration / rattling, maybe somebody who try to assembly that parts bent that foam and you get that gap.

For rear part i don't know how to remove gap I never try to disassemble that plastics.
This is how rear part look on my V650.

View attachment 181894
So I should put some foam on the plastic gap on the dash after I fix it? Can you upload a picture of your top dash by chance so I can see what it should look like?

·
Registered
394 Posts
So I should put some foam on the plastic gap on the dash after I fix it? Can you upload a picture of your top dash by chance so I can see what it should look like?
I take picture before removing that plastic cover. And you can see that I also have same gap.
And you can see foam about which I was talking, it is original, I didn't put that foam there.

How that part is made of plastic, and plastic behaves strangely in the cold. It is possible that I also have this gap because I have not moved the motorcycle for 2 months, and it is located in a building where it is cold, so it is possible that the plastic has hardened (shrink just a little) more than when it is warm when the plastic is more flexible. So for 10 minutes I tried to close that gap and it just isn’t possible. I have to push the plastic that is around ODO meter to remove that gap. You will have to wait for warmer weather to see what it will look like then.

I try ti find pictures on internet to see is there any gap on other V650 Gen3, and gap exist on many pictures.
And on few pictures gap don't exist. I am sure that is because of plastic molding, while cooling something bend more than it shoud and we have gap.

Fastest solution for that gap will be black ducktape. Or try to remove foam and add velcro on place where that 2 parts are touching.

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts
So I should put some foam on the plastic gap on the dash after I fix it?
I think you're misunderstanding him - remove that part, glue a small piece of foam in there BELOW where the part you removed fits, then re-install the part.

SHOULD be fixed!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you're misunderstanding him - remove that part, glue a small piece of foam in there BELOW where the part you removed fits, then re-install the part.

SHOULD be fixed!
Awesome. Makes sense. Sounds like the gap is common though but it does look like mine is missing the foam.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take picture before removing that plastic cover. And you can see that I also have same gap.
And you can see foam about which I was talking, it is original, I didn't put that foam there.

How that part is made of plastic, and plastic behaves strangely in the cold. It is possible that I also have this gap because I have not moved the motorcycle for 2 months, and it is located in a building where it is cold, so it is possible that the plastic has hardened (shrink just a little) more than when it is warm when the plastic is more flexible. So for 10 minutes I tried to close that gap and it just isn’t possible. I have to push the plastic that is around ODO meter to remove that gap. You will have to wait for warmer weather to see what it will look like then.

I try ti find pictures on internet to see is there any gap on other V650 Gen3, and gap exist on many pictures.
And on few pictures gap don't exist. I am sure that is because of plastic molding, while cooling something bend more than it shoud and we have gap.

Fastest solution for that gap will be black ducktape. Or try to remove foam and add velcro on place where that 2 parts are touching.

View attachment 181901

View attachment 181902

View attachment 181903
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation and pictures!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I personally have never even paid attention to that gap. Nor have I ever watched to see if I had anything like that on a motorcycle.
I was more annoyed by the vibrations I had and felt on the motorcycle in the beginning.

·
Registered
688 Posts
yes, I get all the time vibration somewhere in the front fairing. not sure if to live with it or to fit some foam. i never had this problem with Versys 1000.

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,089 Posts
2019 is a Gen 3. MY Gen 3 V650 ('15) is pretty much SMOOOOTH.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts