Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just installed new Galfer SS lines front and rear. The rear is great. The front, however, is seeping fluid from the right side connection, where the supply and crossover lines go into the caliper. From what I can tell, the leak is from between the caliper and the supply line. In order from front to rear is the caliper, the supply line, and the crossover, just like the stock setup. I've tightened it tighter than I feel comfortable and it is still leaking. I took it apart, switched up the washers, tried the stock washers, put the lines in the other order, and nothing changed anything.

I put the stock lines back on and everything is cherry. I tried both banjo bolts in the caliper to see if either was off, and the Galfer bolt has some play in it when threaded all the way in. The stock banjo bolt has no play in it. Could that be the issue? It still allowed me to put plenty of torque on it, but is still leaking. Any info would be appreciated.

Now I'm concerned because Galfer's website says they will honor no warranty unless installed by a professional mechanic. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

B-

·
Registered
469 Posts
First let me say, I have no idea what to truly do. All I'm saying is some sites suggest using Teflon tape and others don't. Let the experts chime in.

Here's what one motorcycle site said:

Brakes
When a brake system or fitting is opened the fittings should be flushed and the system bled to keep air and contaminants from entering. Use Teflon tape or pipe sealant on all brake line fittings. Lubricate all internal parts of master cylinders and Calipers with the same grade of brake fluid to be used in the reservoir.

·
Registered
21 Posts
it is a rubber coated metal wire guide. they are on most bikes under the seat or in other places on the bike.
I have had many bikes and this was in the take off box.
the passenger peg mount was already threaded.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave it another go today. I took the SS lines and cleaned up all of the mating surfaces with 2000grit sandpaper. The one that I thought was seeping had a gouge in it from the crush washer. I think the crush washer had a slightly larger ID that it needed, so it didn't center well. The gouge was only on 180 degrees of the sealing surface. So I sanded it out, cleaned everything up, installed them again and bled, and no leaks so far. I'll be watching it closely, but it looks like we're in business for now. The lever is certainly stiffer than it was before. I'll post back with a ride report when I get a chance to test them out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, 100 miles or so and all's well so far. The response at the lever is awesome! I'm going to need new suspension now. One finger will put the nose on the ground! Good to know that's there when I need it.

I love this damn bike!

B-

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just lines. To be fair, the stock brakes are fine. Personally, they did not have the response I was accustomed to, as I've always had SS lines. The sponginess was not cool in my book, but it still stops fine stock. The SS lines eliminate flex in the system and significantly improve feedback at the lever. I was just kidding about the suspension, but it does highlight the soft front springs. I don't know why mine leaked at first, but I've done 3000 miles since I put the lines on with no problems at all. The only complaint I have about the Galfer's is that the banjo bolts are chromed steel and will rust if you break the chrome coating when installing them. Othewise, this is a great improvement.

B-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts