Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had the 1000 LT for almost a month, and the first thing I noticed about the bike was how snatchy the throttle was, coming off idle. Well, this week I installed a G2 Throttle Tamer sleeve, and not only did it help low speed maneuvering, but it helped smooth out the transition at all speeds. I especially noticed the difference when applying throttle when exiting a curve. Much smoother roll on, with less chain jerk.

About a 30 minute install.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what year is your bike? there's a lot more to be fixed in the eCU besides what the throttle tamer can do.

It’s a 2015.

Installation involves removing the original grip. Remove the 2 Phillips screws holding the switch housing together. Separate the housing, remove the throttle cables from the old tube and connect them to the new tube. Adjust cable slack and replace grip.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mine is also a 2015.

The issues you're having aren't solved by the throttle tamer. The TT is smoother internally than the stock throttle tube, but the ramping effect is unneccessary. The real problem is the deceleration fuel cut in the ECU. What it does is shut off fuel flow when the throttle is closed, and then the fuel comes on suddenly when the throttle is re-opened. This is what the throttle tamer is trying to cover up, by opening off a closed throttle more slowly. It doesn't address the root cause. Also the low rpm lean surge is an issue, and the throttle tamer can't help with that at all.

BTW, full disclosure, I build ECU flashes.

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Steve in Sunny Fl

I hate to argue with you, but the Throttle Tamer did solve MY issue. You’re correct that the mapping isn’t perfect, but the bike is now working fine, for me. In the last few years, I’ve used throttle tamers on 2 bikes, as well as having 3 other bikes flashed. Ain’t my first rodeo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Worked for my 650

I bought a lightly used 2017 650 LT. I knew right away that my throttle was going to be a handful in the kind of traffic I see. First mod was a G2 tamer, never having heard of them before, but knowing something had to give. Very happy. Spent a good 15 minutes or so rolling at a walking pace if at all, on a major highway yesterday. Would have hated every bit of it if I had to keep searching for that tiny bit of throttle movement where I wasn’t jerking backwards or forwards in the saddle. Instead I got to think about how lucky I was to be riding on a lovely March day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s a 2015.

Installation involves removing the original grip. Remove the 2 Phillips screws holding the switch housing together. Separate the housing, remove the throttle cables from the old tube and connect them to the new tube. Adjust cable slack and replace grip.
Thanks for the info!

Dale

·
Registered
77 Posts
G2 TT installation on my 2015 V650 was unsuccessful. I was unable to close the switch housing using the required torque on the screws (per the service manual).

My G2 rep was very helpful in my troubleshooting efforts. They reviewed all of my video and photo documentation regarding the fitment issues and my attempted solutions. They even sent a different cam for me to try. Unfortunately all to no avail.

I wasn't willing to leave the switch housing even slightly open (risking exposure to the elements) so I abandoned the mod 😞 G2 was really cool about it and gave me a full refund.

If I keep the V650 (considering a VFR1200X) then I plan to have the ECU flashed. It seems to be the ideal electronic fix versus the mechanical band aid. Ymmv notwithstanding 😉

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dang! I'd like to give the TT a try, but I just installed new bars and grips.
I'd hate to cut up a new grip...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Put mine on with a little dish soap. Worked great. Mine weren't glued from the factory that I could tell.
G2 throttle tamer huh? Gonna look at it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Worked for my 650

I bought a lightly used 2017 650 LT. I knew right away that my throttle was going to be a handful in the kind of traffic I see. First mod was a G2 tamer, never having heard of them before, but knowing something had to give. Very happy. Spent a good 15 minutes or so rolling at a walking pace if at all, on a major highway yesterday. Would have hated every bit of it if I had to keep searching for that tiny bit of throttle movement where I wasn’t jerking backwards or forwards in the saddle. Instead I got to think about how lucky I was to be riding on a lovely March day.
Update. I’ve got more miles on the bike now, and I think I’m going to have to give the ecu flash a try. The tamer helped some, but that very harsh engine braking on deceleration is taking a lot of the fun out of riding the bike. I don’t know if it’s an individual bike thing, or if all those happy riders are just that much better than me, but as it stands now, if I’m not going to be on a highway, I’ll take my KLX250 with it’s much better controllability. Crossing my fingers I can get the grip back off that tamer. Twas a bear to get it on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Update. I’ve got more miles on the bike now, and I think I’m going to have to give the ecu flash a try. The tamer helped some, but that very harsh engine braking on deceleration is taking a lot of the fun out of riding the bike.
Crossing my fingers I can get the grip back off that tamer. Twas a bear to get it on.
No need to remove the tamer, you can still use it in conjunction with the ECU flash, it should provide ULTRA smooth throttle response.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No need to remove the tamer, you can still use it in conjunction with the ECU flash, it should provide ULTRA smooth throttle response.
Which flash build are you referring to?
I don't need more power. I'd like to get rid of the engine braking.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Which flash build are you referring to?
I don't need more power. I'd like to get rid of the engine braking.

This is a comprehensive flash, and includes the following changes to the ECU:

- Intake air pressure fuel maps optimized and different for each header setup;
-Throttle position fuel maps optimized and different for each header setup;
- Extensive reworking of the ignition timing table
- All gear based secondary throttle maps, both accel and decel optimized;
- Deceleration fuel cut is defeated, off/on throttle is smooth as butter!
- Rev limiter is raised 500 rpm to 10,000 with the stock header, 10,300 rpm for the Delkevic and Black Widow header flashes.
- Engine cooling fan on temp lowered 10*;
- 02 sensor and light disabled;
- off throttle fuel cut deleted, fueling corrected so there is no exhaust popping on hard decelerations;
- pair light shut off should you want delete the system with block off plates;
- Optional 1st gear wheelie suppression - Wheelies are cool, but they're not fast. I have an optional map for 1st gear wheelie suppression. I run this map, but others may not choose to - you decide what's best for you!
- Excessive deceleration braking has been eliminated. No more feeling like you're going over the bars on a hard throttle close. Deceleration is appropriate and gear specific;
- upshifts are smooth, no more jerkiness.
- Strong Idle even at 900 rpm, no more stalling while trying to get moving!

·
Registered
76 Posts
@betoney
Thanks!
Did you create this tune or is it the one you purchased for your bike?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts