Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those following the FZ6r, here are some pictures I took at the dealer.

My first impression from just looking at the bike, not actually ridden it...

NOT Impressed at all.

Very cute and pretty lines, but very cheap feel to it.

There is no Free lunch there, Yamaha meant it when they said entry level.

Definitely a step down from the FZ6.

Clearly targeted at the Ninja 650R, direct competition 100%.

Very straight up riding position and felt comfy for the 2 min I sat on it.

It does not feel heavy at all, very tiny little bike, any body can flat foot.

I would love to hear how it sounds and test ride it to see how it handles.

We now have a full ECONOMY package in all three format...

Inline 4 FZ6r, Parallel Twin 650R, V-Twin Gladius, the choice is yours...

If what you want is an alternative to the 650R, then the FZ6r is just that.

If what you are looking for is a better $7K Inline four then:

The Suzuki GSX650F feels much more built like a Tough FORD when compared to the FZ6r.

Enjoy the pictures:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Decent bike.

I hate to say it but I'm seeing hints of the V in that thing. Just my personal take on the thing though.

And honestly, those parts make it look like Yamaha assembled it from a box of Legos.

Not something I'll be riding anytime soon, that's for sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Box of Legos...

Decent bike.

I hate to say it but I'm seeing hints of the V in that thing. Just my personal take on the thing though.

And honestly, those parts make it look like Yamaha assembled it from a box of Legos.

Not something I'll be riding anytime soon, that's for sure.
>>> And honestly, those parts make it look like Yamaha assembled it from a box of Legos.

That I completely agree with... What happens to neatness and cleanness ?

Just from the look of that engine that bike looks like it is prone to have leaking problems and a maintenance nightmare...

With regard competing with the Versys, I just don't see how, you would have to explain how...

The Versys is such a unique bike and it has such a dual sport appeal that really the FZ6R is very far from the Versys I believe. Now the V-storm and the Versys are a direct concept, both borrowing the same engine from their sport siblings and using that engine on a more dual sport frame...

Now the SV650s vs 650R vs FZ6R, those 3 are the essentially the same bike with 3 different engine design, you pick your choice of engine, the rest is all the same, want to be SPORT Bikes.

The only different between the above 3 is that Kawasaki and Yamaha choose the comfort route while Suzuki choose the performance route with the SV650s. Yamaha just plain did a direct replica of the 650R with a lower seat height to make it even more appealing to shorter riders like women.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With regard competing with the Versys, I just don't see how, you would have to explain how...
No, I didn't say it would be competing with the Versys, just that I see hints of the Versys in the design of the FZ6R.

The tail of the bike bears a similarity to the tail end of the Versys. The front turn signals, instead of being faired into the cowl (as you'd expect to see on the 650R), stick out like they do on the Versys.

That's about it though.

Like I said, hints of the Versys, not direct competition with the V.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right...

No, I didn't say it would be competing with the Versys, just that I see hints of the Versys in the design of the FZ6R.

The tail of the bike bears a similarity to the tail end of the Versys. The front turn signals, instead of being faired into the cowl (as you'd expect to see on the 650R), stick out like they do on the Versys.

That's about it though.

Like I said, hints of the Versys, not direct competition with the V.
I understand now what you are saying...

You are correct, Kawasaki has set a new trend here based on one single engine with 3 different bike designs in a very affordable package so now all others brands just want to jump on the same wagon and also have an affordable bike in their line up.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I think it looks pretty good, especially the black. I wouldn't be embarrassed to ride that. One of my neighbors has an older FZ6. Its a nice bike, though a bit too short for me. He loves it. I think they have designed a good bike for the market they're trying to reach. I'd definitely ride it before the Gladius. Now the SV650, that is another story. I really like the SV, especially the naked bike, I just can't ride the damned thing for long, too cramped.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I test rode an FZ6 (maybe the same bike here) at the Long Beach MC show in December, right after riding the Versys for the first time. It was the very first time I'd ever ridden an inline 4. The engine was different. The riding position good, but too far forward, too sporty for my taste, not so much the upper body but the foot pegs felt like they were too far back. The seat was def lower than the V, and the wind protection better. Light and easy handling.

I chose the V as the better bike of the two. Still, I'd like to add an inline-4 to the stable some day.
dm

·
Registered
117 Posts
I understand now what you are saying...

You are correct, Kawasaki has set a new trend here based on one single engine with 3 different bike designs in a very affordable package so now all others brands just want to jump on the same wagon and also have an affordable bike in their line up.
Yeah, I noticed that after the first year of sales in the United States, the Versys ratcheted up in price a few places, and like you're saying, a lot of the other manufacturers want in on the Maw Kaw action.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Cheap Trend...

Yeah, I noticed that after the first year of sales in the United States, the Versys ratcheted up in price a few places, and like you're saying, a lot of the other manufacturers want in on the Maw Kaw action.
Yeah, I am not liking this new trend, we are all getting screwed...

Before the whole affordable waive came in to play, Yamaha and Suzuki were producing top notch entry level bikes, with High tech Alloy frames, FI at a time where Carbs were still the standard, it was great...

Ever since the 650R showed up with its sleek looks but cheap everything, look at what we are now getting for a $7K affordable entry level, Taiwan quality looking products...

I have not seen in person the new Gladius, but from what I saw with the FZ6R, I can only spect to see another step down procedure... Much less bike then the current Naked SV650 but for $500 more.

It is like going backwards in design and craftsmanship but going forward in jacking up the price...

I around 2005 we reached a peak and now we just going down hill...

Not liking this new Cheap entry level trend, it is producing a lot garbage I think...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, I am not liking this new trend, we are all getting screwed...

Before the whole affordable waive came in to play, Yamaha and Suzuki were producing top notch entry level bikes, with High tech Alloy frames, FI at a time where Carbs were still the standard, it was great...

Ever since the 650R showed up with its sleek looks but cheap everything, look at what we are now getting for a $7K affordable entry level, Taiwan quality looking products...

I have not seen in person the new Gladius, but from what I saw with the FZ6R, I can only spect to see another step down procedure... Much less bike then the current Naked SV650 but for $500 more.

It is like going backwards in design and craftsmanship but going forward in jacking up the price...

I around 2005 we reached a peak and now we just going down hill...

Not liking this new Cheap entry level trend, it is producing a lot garbage I think...
Well, I am, by far, NOT a Harley guy, but Harley Davidson seems to produce the best quality entry-level bike for the buck. The Sportster has a price tag of $7,000.00, but having been around quite a few (3 buddies of mine had Sportsters when I lived in Connecticut, and they're pretty popular here at AU) I can say that the quality and craftsmanship for the money is pretty solid.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
FZ6R with its 'new' steel frame and muffler underneath is listed at $200 less than the Versys in Canada, and $91 more in USA.
Yamaha does sound like they're trying to compete with the Versys by claiming:
"Maximum output is achieved at a spirited 10,000 rpm and maximum torque is obtained at 9000 rpm. Bottom line: Its outstanding “torquey” low to mid rpm engine performance is just right for someone who enjoys commuting to work or school or riding the canyons on the weekends." Front suspension: "Wheel travel is a generous 5.1 inches to help soak up those bumps in the road."..."The rear suspension is lightweight and contributes to the centralization of mass, and the mono-cross suspension provides excellent wheel travel, a full 5.1 inches."
That's 5.1" just like the FZ6... It doesn't have upside-down forks or an LED tail light like the Versys. Less torquey but more powerful and smoother engine. I'm sure it's a highly reliable and mechanically refined Yamaha though. We'll see if they can do any better to compete with the next generation Versys in a couple years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Verys is a different bike...

FZ6R with its 'new' steel frame and muffler underneath is listed at $200 less than the Versys in Canada, and $91 more in USA.
Yamaha does sound like they're trying to compete with the Versys by claiming:
"Maximum output is achieved at a spirited 10,000 rpm and maximum torque is obtained at 9000 rpm. Bottom line: Its outstanding “torquey” low to mid rpm engine performance is just right for someone who enjoys commuting to work or school or riding the canyons on the weekends." Front suspension: "Wheel travel is a generous 5.1 inches to help soak up those bumps in the road."..."The rear suspension is lightweight and contributes to the centralization of mass, and the mono-cross suspension provides excellent wheel travel, a full 5.1 inches."
That's 5.1" just like the FZ6... It doesn't have upside-down forks or an LED tail light like the Versys. Less torquey but more powerful and smoother engine. I'm sure it's a highly reliable and mechanically refined Yamaha though. We'll see if they can do any better to compete with the next generation Versys in a couple years.
I understand how much you love your Versys and how proud of it you are but understand that no every manufacturer is out to duplicate the Versys...

1. In terms of suspension travel distance, the FZ6r might have more travel then the typical street bike but it is not meant to do what the Versys has been design to do. The Versys might not be a full blown dirt bike but it is designed to go off road, the FZ6r is a strictly street bike, different purpose and different markets.

2. The FZ6r is Yamaha attempt to introduce itself into the economy market, the Versys it is not, actually the Versys is the most expensive out of its siblings because of its specialized frame and suspension system that allows it to handle more rough tarrain, not just the paved roads.

3. With regard the torquey I4 engine found on the FZ6R, that has nothing to do with going off road, but it has a lot to do with the SV650. Realize that the 650r and now the FZ6R are both made to target the SV650 which is the king of Torque.

Per Kawasaki, since historically they don't have much experience with sport V TWIN engines, they decided to stick to what they know when designing a bike to compete with the SV650, they choose to stick with a revised twin Parallel engine found on the 500R and now claimed to have 650cc and tweak to behave more like the V Twin engine found on the SV650.

In the same way, in its own attempt to create an engine that simulate the SV650, Yamaha has chosen to take their perfected 600cc Inline 4 and tweak it so that it would behave more like the V Twin engine found on the SV650, Torquey.

Now, here is the most important detail about these 4 bikes, the downward food chain. This is all my own personal opinion, based on your brand bias you are welcome to disagree on any way you want...

The SV650, was design to simulate the Ducati Monster and share its market at a lower price tag, a very tall order in terms of quality and craftsmanship. A down grade from the Italian technology, but still a unique sport liquid cool V twin engine design. To dilute the mater even further, the 650R was designed to steal the market share of the SV650 but again trying to achieve the same effect, create a similar bike with even cheaper components, so on each round we are ending up with lesser quality bikes for the same amount of money if not more, so we are all being screwed here...

And that has been the model that Yamaha used when designing the FZ6R, a direct target to the 650R, also creating a similar bike to the 650R, but that is a lot cheaper to make then the FZ6 that originally competed with the SV650. and if we continue to follow this trend I can only imagine that the Gladious is just that, a degraded version of the original SV650.

Before the 650r came to the US, for $6500 we were getting entry level bikes with quite sophisticated alloy frames, components and engine design. The FZ6 targeting the SV650 which targets the Duc Moster. After the 650r, now we all getting inferior bikes with heavier steel frames and cheaper components all around and the FZ6r is no exception to that rule.

When I got my SV650s MSRP was $6299 and I got it for $6K OTD, the new SV650S is $7500 MSRP... Same bike...
I don't blame Suzuki though, if Kawasaki and Yamaha are charging $7K for inferior bikes, so why not Jack it up too...

So as far as I can tell there are 3 equal bikes, all dressed up with sport faring, with 3 different engine designs that are tweak to behave all in the same way "Torquey" and they are all competing for the same market spot, and those 3 bikes are SV650s, 650r, FZ6R. All 3 brands also offer the Naked versions of the same bike in the form of the Gladius and ER6n, and FZ6. Note, in the case of the SV650s and FZ6, these are better bikes then their newer models, but the ERN6 and 650r are the same bike though...

Now, to bring this topic back to the original point, the FZ6r IS NOT target at the VERSYS.

As far as I know there has not been any bike made yet to target the VERSYS, it is the youngest in its class...

On the other hand, the VERSYS was made to target the already standing VSTROM, which targets the BMW.

See the trend here, Suzuki targets Europe in a diluted version, Kawasaki follows Suzuki by diluting even further...

The Versys is not to be included in the bunch below, just as the Vstrom is also not to be included either, those are completely different bikes for different markets. Note that the flush turn signal of the 650R faring is some what of a Kawasaki trademark, the Versys doesn't have a full faring so it has the standard hanging turn signals that everyone else uses, but that is not why the FZ6r has hanging signals, hanging signals is not a Versys thing...

Call me crazy but two bikes can not be more alike then these two, definitely targeted at each other...

·
Registered
105 Posts
My son has an R6 and we traded one day and I tell ya I felt like a monkey on a football, got back on my "V" at the next stop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My son has an R6 and we traded one day and I tell ya I felt like a monkey on a football, got back on my "V" at the next stop.
Yeah, but the R6 is a complete different animal, the R6 is just a racing machine replica with streets lights to make it legal on the road...

Now, the 650R and FZR6 both have very straight up seating position...

The SV650S on the other hand has a very aggressive seating because of the clips on...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I'm saying that Yamaha sounds like they're attempting to attract buyers considering the Versys, with claims of outstanding low to midrange torque and ample suspension... The FZ6R is in fact $100 more than the Ninja 650R in Canada, and clearly in a similar class with similar looks, fairing coverage, etc. They don't yet have something in the Versys category, so they may still try and convince potential Versys buyers, to take from its success in sales. I just wonder if Yamaha will come out with something in the Versys' category.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts