Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a FZ-1 fuseblock as I am tired of forgetting to turn my heated grips off with the bike.... So I need to figure out what size fuses i need to get for my items I intend to hook up.

Garmin Zumo 450
Oxford Heated Grips

For the grips i found on Twisted Throttle that they will use up to 4w's. So do I put in a 4w fuse, or will it trip at 4w's and I should put in a 5w?

I am not able to find the draw for the Garmin, so any ideas?

·
Registered
612 Posts
divide the watts of your heated grips by 12 and that would be the fuse size or whatever is the next highest available size
If they are the Oxford Heaterz they draw max. 4 amps so I would use a 4 or 5 amp fuse but I just had some installed at the dealer and they hard-wired them right to the battery. If you forget to turn them off they have a auto shut-off circuit if the voltage drops below a set point so they won't drain your battery. That was my concern at first.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The Zumo draws very very little. The cable for my Zumo 550 cradle has thin little wires at the end.
The lowest value fuse that I use in my Fuzeblock is 5A, mostly by convenience: it was the lowest value in a multi-pack of fuses. The Zumo would probably only need a 1A or 2A fuse.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the Oxfords on my bike with FZ1, I thought that the Oxford install tells you ( and provides ) the right fuse for the grips. I can check what I have later this week when I get out the bike.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I went to college for Electrical wiring. You can fuse for individual components, but normally you just fuse for the wire's current carrying capability. Fuses are rated for voltage, and fault amps. They are not rated in watts.
General guide for amp capacities
18 gauge - - -7 amps
16 gauge - - -10 apms
14 gauge - - -15 amps
12 gauge - - -20 amps

·
Registered
97 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts