Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of posts concerning Happy-Trail Panniers interfering with the keyhole for seat removal.
This is just a "Just So You Know" for those considering the HT setup.
I ordered the HT Owyhee Panniers which are 2" less in length and 1" less in height than the larger and more popular Teton Panniers.
Because of this 2" difference the seat release keyhole is fully accessible and functional.
I think the Owyhee boxes will suit me just fine even though there's a bit less space than the Teton boxes. Any concerns there are offset by me having no concerns about seat removal.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Possible Solution for Teton Panniers

2009 Versys + Teton panniers = Impossible to unlock the seat with the panniers attached (even with pannier lids open).

Teton panniers are 15" x 18" x 7.5" OR 15" x 18" x 9"

My thought: Shave the key down... but I happened to have access to some cool tech before I did. So see below for the insides of your stock key. This image convinced me to get rid of all the extra key bulk.

(sorry no pics of this process) but it is very simple.

1) Remove the rubberized outer coating on the key (comes off very easily by cutting it along the edges with a razor blade).
2) Deep to the rubberized coating is a plastic piece pressed around the metal key base - drill out the plastic where it is pinched into the hole in the metal key base.
3) Remove plastic cover.

Your key will now make the tolerances (even with the pannier lids closed). All edges on the key base are smooth and will not cut anything. I do not have any difficulty whatsoever getting the necessary torque to manipulate the key, even with the remaining small key base.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good solution. I was going to have a new key made and bend the head so it will fit behind the box and give me some leverage to turn it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts