Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finding a post about 650 Versys using bikemaster power outlets instead of Kawasaki DC outlets on one of these Versys forums, I decided to fit the $8 bikemaster outlet in the dash of my VX300 instead of the OEM unit. Had to extend the leads on the DC outlet to reach the bullet connectors under the dash but otherwise fit like OEM. Installed the outlet and the Kawasaki Accessory relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I want to do the same to my X-300.

Where is the switched power connector?
Why is it necessary to install the Kawasaki power outlet relay? Surely this outlet will only be for phone/GPS/camera and a relay would be unnecessary?

Thanks, Brockie

·
Registered
456 Posts

Why is it necessary to install the Kawasaki power outlet relay? Surely this outlet will only be for phone/GPS/camera and a relay would be unnecessary?

Thanks, Brockie

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Thanks, Brockie
the relay is there to turn the out let on and off with the ignition so it doesnt drain your battery :nerd:

Reactions: aboyandhisversys

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Thanks, Brockie
the relay is there to turn the out let on and off with the ignition so it doesnt drain your battery :nerd:

·
Registered
456 Posts
On all my other motorcycle I have just found a switched power source. Usually there is a spare there somewhere, my V-Strom has one under the tank for heated grips, and I used that.

So If I can locate a switched power source on the X-300 there is no need for a relay? :smile2:

·
Registered
456 Posts
On all my other motorcycle I have just found a switched power source. Usually there is a spare there somewhere, my V-Strom has one under the tank for heated grips, and I used that.

So If I can locate a switched power source on the X-300 there is no need for a relay? :smile2:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
After finding a post about 650 Versys using bikemaster power outlets instead of Kawasaki DC outlets on one of these Versys forums, I decided to fit the $8 bikemaster outlet in the dash of my VX300 instead of the OEM unit. Had to extend the leads on the DC outlet to reach the bullet connectors under the dash but otherwise fit like OEM. Installed the outlet and the Kawasaki Accessory relay.
That's what I use and it works great although I think it cost more than $8, still much cheaper than the Kawasaki one, although similar quality. I've also purchased sockets for $1 from EBay but the bike-master is higher quality and I has the leads and a line fuse built in. I drilled my dash with a 3.5cm bit. They have collar that tightens up to hold it in the hole. The leads connect direct to the battery.

It has a durable rubber cap to keep it covered when not in use. The socket has even filled with water when I left the bike parked overnight in a rainstorm with the cap off with no ill effect. Unsalted water (rain water) does not conduct electricity!

A switched power source can be advantageous if you have something with a parasitic power draw or something you might accidentally leave on and drain the battery but with a power socket there is no need for it to be switched. It will only draw power if something is plugged in. Being unswitched means you can used it while the key is out of the ignition, like charging a phone/gps or running an air compressor to fill the tires.

When you install the power socket, first check first that the placement will not interfere with the movement of the handlebars at full lock - sometimes USB adapters and the plugs that plug into them protrude a bit.

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
...Installed the outlet and the Kawasaki Accessory relay.
...Where is the switched power connector?
Why is it necessary to install the Kawasaki power outlet relay?...
the relay is there to turn the outlet on and off with the ignition so it doesn't drain your battery :nerd:
On the V650 the relay goes behind the headlight (EASY to get to)

and it 'powers-up' the various wire-sets that Ma Kawi thoughtfully installed for us, altho' it ONLY allows 5 amps. Co$t me about $16 Canadian from my dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would really like if someone posted a picture of a power source that can be used in the faring/ handlebar location! ( for the 2017 versys 300 X )

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would really like if someone posted a picture of a power source that can be used in the faring/ handlebar location! ( for the 2017 versys 300 X )

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
I want the socket live all the time.
So I will connect it directly to the battery
Hell with the relay

Rob
Better hope that no a$$hat puts something metallic into it. W/out a fuse you'll fry the bike....

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
I want the socket live all the time.
So I will connect it directly to the battery
Hell with the relay

Rob
Better hope that no a$$hat puts something metallic into it. W/out a fuse you'll fry the bike....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed one today made by Custom Accessories. Got it at O'reilly auto parts for about $12. Fit into the hole on the instrument panel snugly, and is held in with a threaded ring on the back. Also installed the factory relay kit (needed for the fog lights I installed at the same time). I'm not sure if the bullet connectors are powered without the relay kit?

Reactions: shifted

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
...Unsalted water (rain water) does not conduct electricity!....
I would NOT "bet-my-life" on that....

...I'm not sure if the bullet connectors are powered without the relay kit?...
On the 650 (mine is the '15 650LT), they are NOT powered w/out the relay kit.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Like Eddie said. FYI, unless the water is 0.00 micro Siemens ( rain isn't), it will conduct electricity, especially DC.
My point is fresh water is a poor conductor of electricity but it's conductivity can be greatly increased by adding salt or sometimes other elements that will dissolve. For instance when I left the cap off my 12v outlet on the bike and parked it, a late night rain storm filled the live socket with water. It did not short anything or drain the battery even though the bike sat for over 12 hours with a live 12V socket full of water. On the other hand rain water will sometimes cause a high voltage line to arc over a cracked insulator where it will not do so in the dry. Voltage is the electrical equivalent of water or air pressure, current is the volume of flow (gal/hour). I had a summer job with the local electrical utility once, inspecting high voltage lines. It conducts slightly better than air but not anywhere like a true conductor. The movies where someone is murdered by throwing a toaster in the bathtub is based on false science.

"Pure water is not a good conductor of electricity. Ordinary distilled water in equilibrium with carbon dioxide of the air has a conductivity of about 10 x 10-6 W-1*m-1 (20 dS/m). Because the electrical current is transported by the ions in solution, the conductivity increases as the concentration of ions increases." - Google

1 - 20 of 124 Posts