Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother-in-law, living in EU, European 2016/mark3 versys650. He stumped me with an info that one of the cylinders (right one I believe) has a different fuel/air mixture ratio than the other one. Allegedly due to emission requirements. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never hear something like that for my 2018 model which are EURO 4 norm.
If I am not wrong they do something with exhaust,EURO 4 norm motorbikes have full system exhaust in 1 piece, that is reason why on EURO 4 norm motorbike you can buy only full aftermarket system exhaust, and for EURO 3 and lower you can buy slip on exhaust. So I think that do something with exhaust and probably something with fuel/air mixture ratio.
If I am not wrong EURO 4 norm V650 are more bumpy on low rpm because of that emission requirements.

Also you can see here:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you guys, I was pretty sure its a BS info, but rather asked experts here

·
Registered
251 Posts
No, it is 100% false.
OK... I'm not even sure how to approach this. I have all the factory bin files for all the versys from 2008 to 2020, including au and eu models. I am stating, with that info at my disposal, that the cylinders have different fueling on both the iap mapping and tps mapping. I'm stating this to answer the man's question honestly. If you disagree with me, that's fine, but please cite the info you are referring to that shows the cylinders fueling the same as each other.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
If both cylinders don't get the same fueling, it would be to compensate for different vacuum and air flow between both cylinders to have a resulting equal combustion and exhaust O2 readings from both... The intention is not to have one cylinder run leaner than the other. It's quite normal for a four-stroke parallel twin to have such different fueling needs between both cylinders. This is very obvious when adjusting one of the throttle bodies' throttle valve vacuum bypass screw while reading individual vacuum levels at varying rpm's.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If both cylinders don't get the same fueling, it would be to compensate for different vacuum and air flow between both cylinders to have a resulting equal combustion and exhaust O2 readings from both... The intention is not to have one cylinder run leaner than the other. It's quite normal for a four-stroke parallel twin to have such different fueling needs between both cylinders. This is very obvious when adjusting one of the throttle bodies' throttle valve vacuum bypass screw while reading individual vacuum levels at varying rpm's.
So now you have me confused... are you saying the cylinder DO have the same fueling, or that they DON'T have the same fueling. Previously you stated unequivicably that they DO NOT have different fueling.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I come back from service before 2 days, and I ask service guy about this that 1 piston get less fuel/air mixture ratio to see what he will tell about that..
He tell that is not true, there are no way to make that every piston get same fuel/air mixture every time. He mention a lot of reason why is that, and he say if are different mixture ratio it is about 1% difference between pistons. But that has nothing to do with with emission requirements.

Steve in Sunny Fl If you are able can you maybe tell how big fuel/air mixture ratio difference between pistons are on 2018 model for Europe. EURO 4 norm V650.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I come back from service before 2 days, and I ask service guy about this that 1 piston get less fuel/air mixture ratio to see what he will tell about that..
He tell that is not true, there are no way to make that every piston get same fuel/air mixture every time. He mention a lot of reason why is that, and he say if are different mixture ratio it is about 1% difference between pistons. But that has nothing to do with with emission requirements.

Steve in Sunny Fl If you are able can you maybe tell how big fuel/air mixture ratio difference between pistons are on 2018 model for Europe. EURO 4 norm V650.

ECU # 21175-1208, europe.
Comparing the 2 cylinders, IAP mapping ranges from a difference of +13% to -18%:
TPS mapping ranges from a difference of +60% to -18%

now a personal note. I already told y'all this was the case. I have been told that I'm wrong first by someone who has never seen the fueling tables and now told again I'm wrong by "some guy in a shop" . I am giving y'all facts. I pulled up the file you requested, and did the comparison. If posting pics was easier, I'd post the screenshots. But PLEASE show some respect for my time and effort, stop testing me with "some guy told me" stories.

·
Registered
218 Posts
ECU # 21175-1208, europe.
Comparing the 2 cylinders, IAP mapping ranges from a difference of +13% to -18%:
TPS mapping ranges from a difference of +60% to -18%

now a personal note. I already told y'all this was the case. I have been told that I'm wrong first by someone who has never seen the fueling tables and now told again I'm wrong by "some guy in a shop" . I am giving y'all facts. I pulled up the file you requested, and did the comparison. If posting pics was easier, I'd post the screenshots. But PLEASE show some respect for my time and effort, stop testing me with "some guy told me" stories.
Thank you on answer.
I personally like to inquire a lot about motorbike especially because this is the first motorcycle I have ever bought at all. So I like to collect all the data possible, how and what, why, etc.
If you ask me, the main thing for me is that the engine works and does not break down. And how the engineers solved the problem of reducing pollution and other things that are required I don’t care, they were paid for it. But I had to ask, it’s my flaw that I like to question a lot.
However, the serviceman is only a serviceman, at the trainings for new models, the lecturers certainly do not tell them such things. But people like you, who deal with it on daily basis, I mean ECU modifications, you are certainly more reliable to give correct answers.
But thanks for the reply.

Reactions: moto4you
1 - 14 of 14 Posts