Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out using Premium fuel in my '08 Versys, but with prices getting so high, just put in a tank of 87 octane. Have not noticed any difference. Wanted to get a feel of what other folks are burning in their babies...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd only ever use 87 octane fuel, because it's all your bike needs.

The octane rating of a fuel doesn't have anything to do with how much energy that fuel has. The octane rating is a measure of how resistant that fuel is to spontaneously detonating under pressure. Vehicles with engines that have higher compression ratios squeeze the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder harder, which makes it more likely to combust on its own, a condition called detonation (or 'knock'). Detonation is bad because it puts huge stresses on your engine. One way to fight this condition is to use a higher octane fuel.

Race cars run engines with ultra-high compression ratios, which require very high octane fuels (above 100 RON), which is why people associate high octane ratings with high power (that, and a lot of marketing by the oil companies). But really, if your engine doesn't require higher octane fuel (and the Versys does not), you're not 'giving it the good stuff', you're just wasting money. That's why you haven't noticed any difference in changing octane ratings.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow someone else understands the difference between 87 and 91 octane. You tell em mister. I have mentioned this on at least 5 forums. Most people think 91 is better and actually you will get less mileage and poorer performance on 91 if your engine calls for 87.

·
Registered
122 Posts
fuel

I noticed skypop was worried about the price of gas:eek: I dont know what you guys are paying for gallon of gas there in the states but here in the uk you need a mortgage to by any. we are paying around $10.07 per gallon here.:(

·
Registered
204 Posts
We are just under $4.00 but I would be willing to bet your roads are in a lot better shape than ours are.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
BTW, I'm not near my manual or the bike at the moment, what does it call for?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts