Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 V with just over 10k. My fuel tank seems to vent gas vapors that are more noticeable when the outside temp is over 106 degrees. I was wondering if my fuel cap isn't sealing properly or not tight enough. It's a little overwhelming being in a full face helmet in that kind of heat and then having too much fuel vapor right there. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't think we're ignoring you Clay... I'll be the first to reply that I have no clue. Hope someone here can contribute a little more useful info for you.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Maybe try using better ethanol-free gasoline that doesn't evaporate as quickly... 106+F is ridiculously hot though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Claypgn, I have an 08 as well. I frequently get a whiff of gasoline while riding. Coming to a stop and left turns seem to be when it is most noticeable. I have tried cleaning around the cap. I even squirted a little wd40 down the overflow to see if it was blocked. I have had my V for a little over a year. I only noticed the odor over the last couple months. I am just living with it but a solution would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i May stop by the dealer to see if they can tell if the cap is sealing properly. I probably can't get there till next weekend.

Invader - Phoenix uses "Summer Blend" fuel - no getting around what is available. I only run Chevron Super.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i'm in your neck of the woods. The 09 does it as well. I think it has something to do with the pressure release or whatever. The crazy heat causes it to expand, but really i have no clue. I just never bothered to worry about it.

I usually notice it when i stop. I rode yesterday when it was 114 and i didn't have a chance to review things when i got home b/c i was so hot. I almost needed a medic.

I use shell or chev 91 most of the time.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Mine did it until i got a keyless gas cap. Now the only 2 times i've smelled gas is when i over filled it and once i just left the gas station and could smell a strong gas odor,looked at the tank and saw i had left the gas cap on the pump at the station.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have had my V for over 4 years, and the fuel smell happens occasionally, and somewhat randomly. But now that I think about it, it happens more in the early Spring. Its now August, and I've not smelled it for several weeks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I may look into the keyless cap. It's been 116 the past 4 days on my ride home. I soak down a tee shirt before I leave work and it is dry within 2 miles. I still feel cooler when I get home but, that is all relative. So, I guess I haven't spent much time to smell for gas lately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts