Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...how far can you go when the last bar starts blinking? I haven't gotten more than 320-350 km per tank. Is this normal? doesn't seem to jive with the 50 Mpg that the other posters are claiming.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Alright...how far can you go when the last bar starts blinking? I haven't gotten more than 320-350 km per tank. Is this normal? doesn't seem to jive with the 50 Mpg that the other posters are claiming.
Relax~

First, I don't wait for that blinking before I do refuel. Better safe than walking ;)

Riding style / tire pressure / oil change frequency, etc do affect MPG. These factors vary between riders.

So far I've got 22km/L for the first refuel just for your reference. (~52.4 MPG?)

http://chup.info/gallery2/v/d-/versys/N78_372.jpg.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
According to the manual the last bar indicate that 5,0L (1,3 US Gal) remains in the tank and the bar will start flashing when there is only 3,5L (0,9 US Gal) in the tank.

The fuel tank capacity is 19,0L (5 US Gal) so the last bar will last much longer.

My best millage so far was 386.9km with 15,42L that gives 3,985L/100km
(240.41 mile / 4,07 US Gal = 59.1 mpg) but usually I run about 4,5L/100 km (52 mpg).

However the fines for speeding are very stiff in my area and I really drive near the speed limit.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Charlesleblanc - has the record straight on this. When the FUEL indicator starts flashing you still have about a gallon in the tank (apprx. 4 litres). I always wait until the FUEL light starts to flash unless I'm on tour. When I ride locally I know I can find fuel within that 1 gallon limit (GPS really helps out here). On tour if I'm getting low and I see a gas station I'll fuel up instead of waiting for the FUEL indicator - I don't want to have to get off my route and go down some back road to find a less than desirable filling station.

To get your gas mileage - top off the tank, set one of your trip odo's to zero and then ride until your next fill up. It doesn't matter if you wait until the indicator comes on or not. Then fill up your tank and record how much fuel you put in. Use that combined with the mileage on your selected trip odo to calculate your mileage.

Here's a site that I use to do that: Fuel Calculator

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just to contribute a little supporting real world data, I have verified the numbers that Ocean and Charlesleblanc have reported.

In the past couple of weeks I have had 3 instances where I have gotten low enough for the display to start blnking. On the first one I filled up almost immediately and put in right about 4 gallons. On the second I had to drive an uncomfortably long time before I had the opportunity to fill up. I had to put in over 4.5 gallons. The last time was a bit in between in that I had to go a little ways before I found a station. I had to put in a little over 4 gallons.

My experience on other fill ups is that the fuel level indicator is not that accurate if it's showing some bars. That's to say that if it indicates half a tank, then you're not really at 2.5 gallons or if it shows 1/3 of a tank you're not really at 1.67 gallons. I think the calibration over the range is not that great.

With that said, I have come to trust the blinking fuel indicator that there is about a gallon left. I start looking and refill as soon as I see a suitable station, but I don't stress out too much. I certainly don't pull into the first station that I see for fear of running out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Danger,
I have only had the "flasher" come on once and it was at about 200 miles, it took 4.1 gallons. The milage that tank was 49mpg, the worst I have ever had due to head winds. I get 52 to 54 mpg normally commuting and around town. Last 2 tanks got 54 mpg. Doing a quick conversion and assuming you are using 4 gallons it looks like you are running in the same ball park.

I dont like to let things get too low, I generally take on 3 to 3.5 gallons each time I fill.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How "full" does everyone fill their tank? To the bottom of the metal piece or to the brim (leaving just enough room to close the cap)?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I got 52.3 yesterday on the Interstate for almost an hour and doing SR60. I fill to the bottom of the metal piece that you referred to.

·
Registered
530 Posts
How "full" does everyone fill their tank? To the bottom of the metal piece or to the brim (leaving just enough room to close the cap)?

To the bottom of the metal piece. I believe there is a warning not overfill it otherwise fuel ends up in the vapor recovery system.

Also, if you fuel the bike while you are sitting on it - you run the risk of dumping fuel over yourself. Better to stop a bit early. :eek:

A good friend of my runs a gas station and has seen it plenty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've found that I can fill it to the bottom of the metal piece as long as I'm going to drive for a good bit right after filling up. If I just go a short way (say home right after the gas station) then I get a gas smell when it's sitting. Might have to do with it sitting on a tilt and the gas expanding after it's been out of the ground (a constant 55 F) for a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fuel Mileage

I just finished a 2000km journey in 3 days in the mountains in B.C. got on average 420km to a tank of fuel with an average speed of 130-135km an hour was a great trip for the first big one on the V.

·
Registered
371 Posts
awsome milage there Shane99...Where did ya travel in B.C ????im off to do a loop there in a couple of weeks myself :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just went 250 miles on the last tank. Filled up 4.28 gal. = 58.4 mpg not bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mate of mine ran his bike with the light blinking and got about 50km before the bike starting cutting out , lucky he was at a gas station .

Not a cleaver thing to do as not good for the fuel pump to run dry .

·
Registered
18 Posts
OXMAN

I ran from Stettler A.B. to Golden then from Golden to creston and from creston back through pincher creek bac to stettler. Hope you enjoy your ride

1 - 16 of 16 Posts