Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 with a fuel delivery problem.

I believe that I have a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Based on the service manual and physical inspection it seems that it cannot be replaced, but I haven't done anything other than look at it.

The fuel pump was replaced due to rust in the tank--the bike sat while I was having cancer treatment. The new pump ran fine (dry) before assembly but no fuel is coming out of the tank when the ignition is turned on. The pump runs for 3 seconds or so like it is priming. Since the only thing between is the regulator, it's possible that the regulator is stuck in the 'closed' position.

Has anyone had success is removing or cleaning it?

Replacement regulators are available, but they do not look anything like the existing one.

Thanks in advance!
Jaw Sleeve Font Screenshot Plumbing fixture
Product Font Screenshot Software Technology

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find , does Quantum specify replacement procedure. You might try asking supplier for detailed installation procedures. Might work and save $ replacing the whole furl pump.
I contacted Quantum yesterday: "According to service manual, the fuel pressure pressure regulator is built into the fuel pump and cannot be removed. Yet on your website there is one listed. Is that a mistake?" I had attached their listing as well as the relevant page in the service manual.

Their reply: "We believe that the info you have collected is a mistake, we sell hundreds of these regulators weekly."

So much for that approach!

·
Registered
2020 Gen3 650
105 Posts
The fuel pump assembly is on these likely come apart relatively easily with simple tools. If you get the fuel pressure regulator be sure to also get a new tank O-ring as yours has likely perished. My buddy and I pulled apart the fuel pump assembly on a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 several times and rebuilt it with parts from a supplier like what OP posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the fuel pump assembly and separated the fuel pump from the regulator, which is encased in a plastic shroud. The shroud has two slots which, when it was assembled, passed over two corresponding projections that lock it in place. The shroud was apparently not meant to be removed, as the material around the slots is quite stiff. I tried to pass the projections under the that material with no luck. I didn't want to break the plastic.

Having said that, I blew compressed air into the port where the fuel pump would be sending fuel and air came out the port that goes to the injectors--indicating that the regulator was 'open'. BUT, when I reassembled everything and put fuel in the tank--no fuel came out the tank.

Perplexed.

I did re-check the operation of the fuel pump (it spins) and verified that the red wire from the connection was going to the plus terminal on the pump (thus not pumping backwards).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As we know, it is (sometimes) the simplest thing that can go wrong. I had not connected the plus and minus wires correctly to the fuel pump. My mistake was thinking that the new pump's connections were oriented the same as the old one. Darn!

Re-assembled and started right up.

The moral of the story--check and double check even the simplest of things!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts