Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 09 that I bought used. Its a California model and the previous owner removed the emissions system. The problem is that it leaks fuel from a drain line whenever I fill the tank up and I'm not overfilling it. It will leak fuel even as I'm riding until it gets to a lower level.
Before I take the tank off, any ideas on which line goes where? Photos would be nice, I don't have a service manual.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weljo, thanks for the links. Hope someone comes along soon with more info on this, I did a search and didn't find too much.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Gerry O,

Please, I know it will be painful, but stop riding that bike until that leak is fixed. Too many people throw lit cigarettes out on the road. I would hate to see you hurt.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have an idea of what is going on. I am looking at the '10 up manual so bare with me. There are two metal tubes that go through the tank and connect to two nipples at the bottom of the tank and are vents near in top of the fuel cap inside the tank. Under normal circumstances fuel will not come out of these unless the bike is overfilled or tipped over because the fuel level is below the top of the tube. Only vapors should come out. If either of these tubes is cracked fuel will slowly leake out through the tube. I had a ZX-6R that had the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just took the sidecover off and can see at the rear of the tank there are 3 metal tubes sticking out of the tank. The first one (to the front of the bike)has a clear vent tube, the middle has a rubber vent tube that attaches to the side stand (this is the one that leaks), but the 3rd vent tube has nothing attached! Is this the one that previously went to the evap canister and should it be capped to stop the leak?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fasteddie, thanks for the photo and the link, now it all makes sense. I just followed the steps and will go and fill up and hope for good results. Everyone else thanks for your input.

King V, thanks for your concern:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it does, I just got back after filling up and lo & behold....no leaks!

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
So basically you had the breather lines mixed up and the expansion in the tank was pumping fuel out?

Glad it was not a cracked internal breather line.

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
I quit. You guys are on your own now. I can just as well manage without this forum. ;)
Yes but can the forum manage without you:exactly:

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
AIN'T THAT the truth...!

:thumb:

...and weljo TOO!

:yeahsmile:

Nah I just buy stuff..Guys like you and invader can fix things and help others to do the same.:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Gerry O,

Please, I know it will be painful, but stop riding that bike until that leak is fixed. Too many people throw lit cigarettes out on the road. I would hate to see you hurt.
All I could think of is Newman driving that mail truck dragging that Singer sewing machine...LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts