Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I've had my Versys for about a month. I'd like to start by saying, it's not my first fuel injected bike. That being said, it's slightly different than others.

What I expected: Insert key and turn to on position. When I flip kill switch to run, I should hear the fuel injectors work. Wait a few sec and then start the bike.

What happens: Insert key, turn to on position. Fuel injection kicks in regardless of kill switch position.

Dealer says it does this b/c it's a European bike. I'm not sure if I believe that. Other V riders, how does yours work?

This is probably a dumb question since my bike runs like a champ. It's a 2009. I bought it was 2700 miles on it. Done about 2k miles in the past month and she's run like a champ the entire time. It's just to ease my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
As soon as I turn the key to"on" the fuel injection system makes its noises. This is the first FI bike I have owned, so I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
My first fuel injection bike. I never turn off the kill switch unless I drop the bike. On every bike I have ever owned the kill switch kills the ignition circuit it does not turn off anything else.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange thing...at the dealer we walked over to a new Ninja 650 since it has the same engine and a good number of the same components. We put the key in, turned it to on and nothing. We flipped the kill switch to run and instantly we heard the buzz of the fuel injection working. That struck me as odd and lead me to believe my bike behaving differently from the norm.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have never turned off the kill switch on any bike I've owned. :confused:
When I took my MSF class they taught us to get in the habit of always using the killswitch. That way if you need to get to it quick(crash or some other reason) it is 2nd nature. I doubt I would struggle to find it if I used the key to turn off tue bike, but the switch is now my normal.:cool:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
When I took my MSF class they taught us to get in the habit of always using the killswitch. That way if you need to get to it quick(crash or some other reason) it is 2nd nature.
+1. Kill with the switch followed by the key. Its just habbit now.

I don't care when the fuel pump pressurizes the system. If I turn the key, I am going riding! :thumb:

·
Registered
333 Posts
The sound you're hearing is the fuel pump priming the system. The injector shouldn't run or make any noise until starting. Every once in a while with the kill-switch off, I'll turn the key and just hear the dash electronics initialize. I can then hit the kill-switch to on and hear the fuel pump run for a second.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts