Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious as to what kind of fuel grade people are using? In the manual it says 87 octane; but i have also heard you should only use 91 or higher. Compression is 10.6/1 so 91 sounds like the better choice? Do you notice any loss of power with the lower grade? I run 87 in my shadow and get better gas mileage. :confused:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Experts (not me) say that you are wasting your money using an octane rating higher than is necessary to prevent knock. I have tried 87, 89, 91, and 93 an can't tell any difference.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
+1 on regular gas. Regular gas contains slightly more btus/gallon, so if it doesn't knock, you'll get slightly better gas milage. I have never heard of a V knocking on regular gas.

Also the fuel injection will compensate and correct for any minor knocking issues (at least the car f.i. systems will). It will also compensate for a partially clogged air filter, keeping the air/fuel ratio constant.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Also agree on regular. I started off with prem. then switched after reading on the forum and I also noticed no difference in performance. Also easier on the wallet!
Good luck and Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also agree on regular. I started off with prem. then switched after reading on the forum and I also noticed no difference in performance. Also easier on the wallet!
Good luck and Welcome aboard!!
Thanks for all the info:thanx: Dont want to spend more on the precious juice than I need too!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know if it's the California gas but mine knocks on hard acceleration with 87 octane. I'm going to start using 91................if it stops the knocking then the extra cost is worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Shell Optimax (Unleaded premium) and note that the running is much more smooth and crisp, also tends to have a better throttle response.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Oh no not this again.
Regular, never had a knock anywhere in the USA I have ridden it.
If you are getting Knocking , you need to get it looked at as something is wrong.
Out west i was running 85 regular with no problems

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry, slim to no chance there's something wrong and here's why......I'm sure the California models are set up to run even leaner than the other 49 states. ALL of my previous bikes have had this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts