Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride yesterday (perfect day here in East TN) and as soon as I turned the key on the fuel gauge started blinking on and off at about 1 Hrtz. This continued for about 10 minutes or so then it stayed on and showed one bar (the tank was full) then slowly started adding bars (about one per minute) until it showed full. Then it started the process all over again. Anyone had something like this happen to them? How did you fix it? Bad sending unit maybe? Thought I'd ask around before I took it to the dealer.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Definitely a fault that will probably end up being related to the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank. The only simple fix is to put a couple of tanks of injector cleaner through the system, hoping that the issue is float related and that the cleaner may remove tarnish, if that is what is causing the problem.
This method has fixed many faulty fuel level problems.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Warranty?

Went for a ride yesterday (perfect day here in East TN) and as soon as I turned the key on the fuel gauge started blinking on and off at about 1 Hrtz. This continued for about 10 minutes or so then it stayed on and showed one bar (the tank was full) then slowly started adding bars (about one per minute) until it showed full. Then it started the process all over again. Anyone had something like this happen to them? How did you fix it? Bad sending unit maybe? Thought I'd ask around before I took it to the dealer.
A couple things, is the bike stored outside, any rain riding lately. Is it under warranty? My first thought is a possible bad / corroded ground . Since we don't have a pdf of the X300 service manual, hard to know for sure , however I would try unplugging the fuel pump and back in. I very much doubt anything to do with the float.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's still under warranty, but I like going to the dealership about as much as I like going to the dentist. I'll try plugging and unplugging and the fuel cleaner thing before I take her to the dealer. I did ride through a cloud burst on the ride before this started happening, so there may be something to the ground issue. However, everything else is working perfectly. Oh well, I'll get it fixed one way or the other. I'll update then. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When mine gets down to one or two bars, sometimes when I start it, the gauge will flash, then after a mile or two, it's back up to one or two bars. Never had it happen on a full tank though. To be honest, I don't use the fuel gauge, I set the trip every time I get gas, and know that I get about 200 miles before it starts flashing, or 250 miles until I'm empty. I just always fill up around the 200 mile mark. I'm old school, and motorcycles didn't always have fuel gauges.

Edit...just noticed this was in the 300 forum, so my mileages may be different than what the 300 gets.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This is all I could find in the Service Manual. Not much help at all, really.

Sort of like - "Take your bike to your local dealer and they will keep on replacing things until the fault rectifies".

Reactions: Sil3ns
1 - 8 of 8 Posts