Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Versys fuel gauge had one bar and began flashing "FUEL" at ~190 miles. At 193.7 miles on the odo I filled the tank putting 4.28 gal (45.2mpg). Fuel tank capacity being 5.0 gal the range would be ~226 miles. It would be hard to argue that erring a bit on the conservative side for a fuel warning signal.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you are relaying that there is not much range left after the warning starts blinking- not sure.

I often roam alone, and it's funny how fast the gas gauge on my '08 can go from a couple blips down to one....

I wish sometimes the V had the same size tank as my old KLR, that would make it dandy. But I suppose it would also make it more top heavy.

Sometimes I find myself staring at that single bar-blip mark on the empty end of the fuel gauge, and wondered if I would make it to civilization or a town with fuel.

A couple years ago, I started carrying a large PRIMUS bottle, it's rated for carrying gas. It's 1.5 L I believe (or biggest one of this design), about $25-27 bucks.

I can fuel/fill it in-place without having to remove it, plus it accepts a gas-station size pump nozzle.
It fits nicely on the one side behind my SW Motech side rack-- just opposite a tool tube. Math not being my thing, and I am not great with the metric system, I am thinking this might take me 15-18 miles as a reserve. I have not had to use it, but I do keep it full of non-oxy premium, and rotate the contents with fresh once in awhile. Even if I never need it, maybe I will rescue some maiden on the Harley that's broke down and my KARMA will suddenly change?

I have it on a bottle-rack from Twisted Throttle with a hose clamp. It's actually smaller/shorter somewhat in contrast with the tool tube on the opposite rack.
Naw, it's not a gallon or anything, it's just an appetizer sized amount I can easily carry and forget about for the most part, until maybe I need it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not sure what the O.P. is asking, but I look at a motorcycle fuel gauge as a rough guideline. I would guess there would be like a 10% variance in accuracy from one V to another. As Clint would say: "A man has got to know his limitations" (and the range of a full tank). Also, when I am looking for maximum range I hold the bike straight upright to use all of tank capacity (I hope that is what it does).

"Math not being my thing, and I am not great with the metric system, I am thinking this might take me 15-18 miles as a reserve." In the real world you can consider a liter about a quart ( a liter is 1000cc and if I remember a quart is 948cc). So your 1 1/2 quarts of fuel (3/8 gallon) at 45 mpg would get you as you surmised, about 17 more miles.

That's a lot of math - I think I need a nap now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Versys 650 is a Great Bike

I have a 2009 I bought in 2016. It is my reliable Japanese bike that I can count on. When one owns a non-Japanese bike, it is a necessity to also ride something that will not need as many repairs.

By the way, I registered almost 4 years ago, however the password reset does not work - no e mail sent to reestablish account. Tried several times.

Forced to use my wife's email address to get to this point.

Lou

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
:welcome:aboard and my apologies if you had problem on Log In. Please PM any super mod if you have further problem.

Enjoy your ride and be safe.

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Understand on the back up bike. I keep toying with the idea to pick up an Aprilia Futura just for grins. Or maybe an old Water Buffalo...

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Request change back to Lammy1000

2009 Versys fuel gauge had one bar and began flashing "FUEL" at ~190 miles. At 193.7 miles on the odo I filled the tank putting 4.28 gal (45.2mpg). Fuel tank capacity being 5.0 gal the range would be ~226 miles. It would be hard to argue that erring a bit on the conservative side for a fuel warning signal.
Succeeded in logging in today!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Consider yourselves lucky. My 2018 V1K will go 140 miles before the gas gauge drops a single bar. The remaining 4 bars drop off at about 25 miles each, so by the time I get to about 240ish miles, the gauge and tank match (both close to zero!).

·
Registered
807 Posts
On my '15 I loose the first bar at about 60-90 miles, depending on how bad(good?) I'm flogging it.

I seem to have about two gallons left at the point that I go to a single bar, and about 1.5 left when it starts blinking.

All of the above are assuming reasonably level road.

I would like some sort of indication when one is down to about a half gallon but at least the above seems to be consistent.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
102 Posts
Going from memory, my 2015 650 LT fuel gauge did exactly the same as SteveJ mentions above.

FWIW, I averaged about 68mpg and filed up around the 340 mpg mark.

All the best,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
When I did an "endurance" run on my '15 V650 to test its range (PROBABLY back in '15), carrying a gallon in case I ran out, when it went from showing a RANGE of 50 kms, to ZERO, I rode for around another 100 kms, then filled-up anyway and it didn't take nearly the 22L the OWNERS MANUAL says it holds.

So, IMHO the gas-gauge is VERY pessimistic!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts