Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the manual and apparently the bike has no fuel filter. Can someone confirm this?
Here in Peru, when you travel out of the cities, gas is very dirty on little towns :thumbdown: and I'm sure (maybe not now but in a near future) that the fuel injection system will cause problems if I do not install a fuel filter, somewhere.
Someone did something about it? Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Let me get this right invader, if the fuel filter is clogged you have to replace the complete fuel pump unit, sounds a exspensive excercise if you get caught out with dirty fuel!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I know it sounds crazy... If my plastic screen bag fuel filter would ever start to get clogged, I'd pull the pump out, spray some of my Maxima air filter cleaner on it, rinse it off under warm running water, apply cleaner again, carefully brush it off with a small paint brush, rinse, apply a bit of dish detergent, rinse again, whip the water out, spray some WD-40 on it to displace the moisture and carefully blow it dry a couple times, then slap the sucker back on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your information... I will try to see if I can put some of those universal fuel filters in the oultet of the fuel pump. I have seen some good options on K&N... I just have to check about the fuel system pressure.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Fuel Pressure (High Pressure Line)-
With Engine Idling: 294 kPa (3.0 kgf/cm², 43 psi) with fuel pump running.
Fuel Pump-
Type: In-tank friction pump.
Discharge: 60 mL or more for 3 seconds.

Fuel Injectors-
Type: INP-287
Nozzle Type: One spray type with 12 holes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I success installing some changeable fuel filter, I will send the pics from the installation...
thank you all.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Fuel Pressure (High Pressure Line)-
With Engine Idling: 294 kPa (3.0 kgf/cm², 43 psi) with fuel pump running.
Fuel Pump-
Type: In-tank friction pump.
Discharge: 60 mL or more for 3 seconds.

Fuel Injectors-
Type: INP-287
Nozzle Type: One spray type with 12 holes.
Invader:

What type of EFI system is the versys running. Is it K-Jet. KE-Jet, L-Jet or LH-jet or it is motronic , but I dont have lamda sensor on my exhaust. :feedback:

:cheers:

PS Note: You should consider changing your Avtar to MahaGuru- Great Teacher.:thumb:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my case I'm not worried about a blocked fuel filter, it's just how much efficient that "bag filter" is for dirty gasolines like we have here... clogged injection system should be a real problem.

·
Registered
665 Posts
There are some small-ish funnels around with built in filters. Would make refueling slower and mean you would have to carry the funnel with you but might be good to get at least some of the crud out of your gas.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
In my case I'm not worried about a blocked fuel filter, it's just how much efficient that "bag filter" is for dirty gasolines like we have here... clogged injection system should be a real problem.
Between the V ‘s fuel filter design and the condition of your gas down there, it might be worth making some sort of a pre-filter, perhaps like a basket that would go right under the gas cap filler neck with easily removable/replaceable paper filters (like coffee or paint filters). Even if you had to fill it slowly, it could be worth it...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Between the V ‘s fuel filter design and the condition of your gas down there, it might be worth making some sort of a pre-filter, perhaps like a basket that would go right under the gas cap filler neck with easily removable/replaceable paper filters (like coffee or paint filters). Even if you had to fill it slowly, it could be worth it...
Hardware, that's a good idea.

·
Registered
302 Posts
yeap this exactly i was meaning by saying maxtra brita type of filtering.and maybe something permanent with replaceable medium.let me show you the maxtra brita technology :p http://www.brita.net/uk/promotion_source.html?&L=1

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is very good how you can get so many good ideas from this forum :cheers:
Thank you all

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Mr Funnel

Anyone have any experience with Mr Funnel? (insert gyno joke here)

Fuel filtering funnels: http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

YouTube ad/demo:

Looks to me like a good idea for fueling from gas cans, and if you've got space on your bike to take one to the station, at the station. (Disposing of the last bit at the bottom may be an issue when at the station, so you would have to have a plan for that...at least here in Calif. YMMV.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
That looks like a good idea, I just emptied my tank prior to it being repainted and I couldn't believe the amount of dirt in the fuel. Even though it looks to be small particulate I'm sure if any did manage to get past the bag filter in the pump it would wreak havoc on the injectors. I think I might invest in the F1 Mr. Funnel it might also be good to check for kidney stone gravel on a long ride:surprise:
Really there should be an in-line fuel filter on a vehicle with fuel injectors IMH :|

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I was reading the manual and apparently the bike has no fuel filter. Can someone confirm this?
Here in Peru, when you travel out of the cities, gas is very dirty on little towns :thumbdown: and I'm sure (maybe not now but in a near future) that the fuel injection system will cause problems if I do not install a fuel filter, somewhere.
Someone did something about it? Any ideas?
something you can do is put the fuel in a fuel can and let it sit for a bit and siphon the fuel off the top to avoid the water and dirtiness

1 - 20 of 25 Posts