Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking that it is strange that my V3 is not much more economical that Vulcan S, which has a double size engine. if I drive between 110 and 135 km on average, I consume 24L/km. Not very impressive. going above 140 makes 19km/L. if I drive around 100km/h, I get perhaps 25km/l; i think that bike like that should give an average close to 30km/L.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
at least me, I already expected this type of consumption. an engine at higher rpm, also consumes more .... and I never go under 9,000 rpm ...
in any case, my consumption is not much different from yours.

4 - 4.3L when stay at 120 kmph.
3.3L whan stay below 90kmph.
4.8 - 5.3 when surpase 120 kmph or at 120 kmph carrying at full weight + companion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Honda NC700 gets 10mpg more than my 300X. After 300,000 miles the extra gas cost of 300X will offset the savings in purchase price.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, at least I know that this is no problem just with 'my' bike. that it is just the nature of the bike. It does not bother me that much, as I use it only for short touring trips. for everyday driving, up to 100kmh, the fuel consumption is acceptable, around 25kml.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe I'm just riding like a "wuss" but my 2018 X300 (bought 2ndhand with 6k miles) has improved mpg after I made a couple of changes.

First owner already did 15T front sprocket, which will help, plus I have an NC750X for longer M/way journeys so the VX tends to stay below 70mph too.

I was getting around 70mpg as I'm using it for bimbling, but living in South of England still plenty of road junctions with need to stop/start and I'm accelerating up to 50/60mph quite briskly. So overall fair and as suggested circa 10mpg down on the NC.

Anyways I swapped out the OEM air filter for some RamAir dual density foam, which I already had. Plus, having had good experiences with previous bikes, went through the ball-ache of changing out the original spark plugs to Brisk AOR12LGS.

I now see mpg closer to the NC around 80mpg and (to me) a smoother more responsive ride. If anything I ride marginally faster than before, so believe the mpg improvement is down to the changes.

As said I don't tend to run the higher speeds needing constant high rpms, so this will be about as good as it'll get, but I'm very happy I bothered with the Brisk plugs (circa £25).

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I'm just riding like a "wuss" but my 2018 X300 (bought 2ndhand with 6k miles) has improved mpg after I made a couple of changes.

First owner already did 15T front sprocket, which will help, plus I have an NC750X for longer M/way journeys so the VX tends to stay below 70mph too.

I was getting around 70mpg as I'm using it for bimbling, but living in South of England still plenty of road junctions with need to stop/start and I'm accelerating up to 50/60mph quite briskly. So overall fair and as suggested circa 10mpg down on the NC.

Anyways I swapped out the OEM air filter for some RamAir dual density foam, which I already had. Plus, having had good experiences with previous bikes, went through the ball-ache of changing out the original spark plugs to Brisk AOR12LGS.

I now see mpg closer to the NC around 80mpg and (to me) a smoother more responsive ride. If anything I ride marginally faster than before, so believe the mpg improvement is down to the changes.

As said I don't tend to run the higher speeds needing constant high rpms, so this will be about as good as it'll get, but I'm very happy I bothered with the Brisk plugs (circa £25).

thank you for the info. will Brisk Silver Racing be any different? i can get here some of their spark plugs, but I cannot see the numbers. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/brisk-silver-racing-spark-plug-i747164492-s1422866911.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.46.61024313RjJSW3&search=1

·
Registered
22 Posts
thank you for the info. will Brisk Silver Racing be any different? i can get here some of their spark plugs, but I cannot see the numbers. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/brisk-silver-racing-spark-plug-i747164492-s1422866911.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.46.61024313RjJSW3&search=1
The Silver Racing are different and I have no experience of them but they look very similar to simple NGK Iridium design.

The LGS versions have a very unique design that's intended to provide a more thorough/efficient burn. I know it all sounds a bit too good to be true, but I've fitted to three other bikes and been pleasantly surprised. I think they're of most benefit to lower powered engines (SH125, Piaggio 250 & VX)

Note that they supply with cap (WC) and with no cap (NC), this is relevant because the caps are fixed on and not removable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My x300 2019 consume 27 km/l In my country it's not allowed to ride faster than 100 km/h. If I ride in the city the bike takes more fuel per km. If Im riding in the country (no highway) than I can reach the 30km,/l.
Top case, nobby tires, tire pressure, weather and driving style will have influence on the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Silver Racing are different and I have no experience of them but they look very similar to simple NGK Iridium design.

The LGS versions have a very unique design that's intended to provide a more thorough/efficient burn. I know it all sounds a bit too good to be true, but I've fitted to three other bikes and been pleasantly surprised. I think they're of most benefit to lower powered engines (SH125, Piaggio 250 & VX)

Note that they supply with cap (WC) and with no cap (NC), this is relevant because the caps are fixed on and not removable.

Great. I will try it. But there is a problem because most websites do not specify whether it is WC or NC. Not even the Brisk website. Brisk Premium LGS Racing AOR12LGS Spark Plug

if you go to their plug construction page, there is nothing about the construction of the cap: Identification and Construction | Technical Specs

so i guess, this is the wrong one? it shows with cap: Brisk Premium Racing AOR12LGS 1514 Spark plugs, 2 pieces: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
155 Posts
FWIW - on my '15 V650 I get somewhere around 25 to 25.5kms/L, and 26 km/L once or twice.

(y)(y)
Using this conversion:

To convert miles per gallon (mpg) to kilometers per liter (km/L), divide the miles per gallon value by 2.3521458. For example, to convert 24 miles per gallon to kilometers per liter, divide 24 by 2.3521458, that makes 10.2 kilometers per liter is 24 miles per gallon.

I get somewhere around the same based on 60mpg per USA gallon of fuel.

60 divided by 2.3521458 = 25.5086 kms per liter. It is lower with a good headwind, in cool weather with winter blend fuel, and at higher speeds with more wind drag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great. I will try it. But there is a problem because most websites do not specify whether it is WC or NC. Not even the Brisk website. Brisk Premium LGS Racing AOR12LGS Spark Plug

if you go to their plug construction page, there is nothing about the construction of the cap: Identification and Construction | Technical Specs

so i guess, this is the wrong one? it shows with cap: Brisk Premium Racing AOR12LGS 1514 Spark plugs, 2 pieces: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Maybe it is just the UK supplier who welds on the caps so you can't remove them, unfortunately I can't be sure.

I suggest you just confirm with whoever you order from beforehand that the cap can be removed or isn't included.

Best of luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe it is just the UK supplier who welds on the caps so you can't remove them, unfortunately I can't be sure.

I suggest you just confirm with whoever you order from beforehand that the cap can be removed or isn't included.

Best of luck

Here, in Thailand, some distributors sell those spark plugs with removable caps, so this can be another reason why they do not specify if it is NC or WC. By the way, there is a lot of controversies regarding Brisk on different forums. Some call it snake oil and others report that their vehicle began to have different problems. Also, their longevity is shorter than the regular spark plugs. And one has to be careful with what kind of fuel use. Someone even reported that the tip of the plug broke and fall inside the combustion chamber, etc. I want to give it a try, but just saying...

by the way, there is also a version for Asia (hot and humid) of Brisk, called X-line, and it accepts all kinds of fuel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here, in Thailand, some distributors sell those spark plugs with removable caps, so this can be another reason why they do not specify if it is NC or WC. By the way, there is a lot of controversies regarding Brisk on different forums. Some call it snake oil and others report that their vehicle began to have different problems. Also, their longevity is shorter than the regular spark plugs. And one has to be careful with what kind of fuel use. Someone even reported that the tip of the plug broke and fall inside the combustion chamber, etc. I want to give it a try, but just saying...

by the way, there is also a version for Asia (hot and humid) of Brisk, called X-line, and it accepts all kinds of fuel.
I've run one for 6/7 years in a Piaggio X9 250Evo that stays in Brittany and has probably done 14/15000 miles in that time.

It certainly helps that bike run smoother, when I first installed it with no other changes the tickover jumped allowing me to turn it down to maintain correct setting. I'm not claiming any power benefit, but the engine just seems calmer, smoother and a tad more responsive.

I also bought one for a 500cc Piaggio and it didn't like it, mainly because you can't (stupidly) adjust tickover without the dealer plug-in diagnostic box. Hence putting it on my SH125 having bought it and it's same spec.

Again bike just felt smoother and more responsive, that bike was sadly stolen and written off a couple of years later, so no long term assessment possible.

They do claim 30,000 klms life, so far on the Piaggio it's lasted longer than the Denso Iridium I used before.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
...To convert miles per gallon (mpg) to kilometers per liter (km/L), divide the miles per gallon value by 2.3521458....
To convert km/L to mpgIMPERIAL: multiply the km/L by 2.821, then to get mpgUS: multiply mpgIMPERIAL x .8.

THUS 26km/L is 73.346 mpgIMP, or 58.6758 mpgUS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got avg.18.1km/l in cramped city traffic. Opening the V650 up a little at 100km/h in 6th gear return 25km/l. I rarely ride up to 120km/h for prolong period, mostly below 100km/h and it usually return around 20-25km/l.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ride in the north of Thailand, mix of highways, mountain roads, odd bit of offroad. I get 30.7 km/l consistently. I'm not slow and not manic fast just MOR.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ride in the north of Thailand, mix of highways, mountain roads, odd bit of offroad. I get 30.7 km/l consistently. I'm not slow and not manic fast just MOR.
That's very fair mpg, I guess there's not a lot of congested city riding?

What octane fuel do you use, out of interest?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed that the 'Average' shown on the Dashboard is not very accurate, often completely wrong.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts