Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a doubt about if I'm getting a good fuel economy on my New Versys 650 2012. I'm monitoring in detail my consumption according the situation.

I weight 180 Pounds.

In Highway my average is 49.58 MPG and in the city my Average is 39.40 MPG. I have got as low as 37.07 going at an average of 4000 rpm during the adjusting period in the city and the best is 54.93 MPG at 4000 rpm in highway during the same period.

I don't ride agresively yet so I believe I'm getting less MPG than expected.

Do you have any ideas why?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Well I get over 50 mpg all the time. Many factors, and some I'll throw out are points of many heated forum talks. With some saying we don't have scientific proof.

1) breakin period over
2) fuel octane
3) syn oil
4) 44T or 43T rear sprock
5) driving habits
6) mtn or flat land
7) city or highway
8) calculating MPG correctly, one mile = 1.0something ?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi,

I have a doubt about if I'm getting a good fuel economy on my New Versys 650 2012. I'm monitoring in detail my consumption according the situation.

I weight 180 Pounds.

In Highway my average is 49.58 MPG and in the city my Average is 39.40 MPG. I have got as low as 37.07 going at an average of 4000 rpm during the adjusting period in the city and the best is 54.93 MPG at 4000 rpm in highway during the same period.

I don't ride agresively yet so I believe I'm getting less MPG than expected.

Do you have any ideas why?

I've never gotten over 43mpg in any conditions and I frequently get 36-40mpg when pushing it hard in the twisties.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Check your odometer against a GPS to assure it's accurate.

I can vary my mileage over 10mpg by how hard I ride. Back roads at 50 mph and 4,000 rpm will yield around 60 mpg. 70 mph and higher revs pulls the mileage back to around 50mpg. Even higher rpm and speed will lower it more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

thanks for all your feedback, I will keep track of the consumption, and with all this information I believe I'ts Ok. In my country the fuel octane its not very good and no one knows what is for real.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I believe the windshield is not going to affect the fuel consumption because this is more aerodinamic than a human body. If you don't have the windshield the wind will hit your chest, arms and head.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Hi, I believe the windshield is not going to affect the fuel consumption because this is more aerodinamic than a human body. If you don't have the windshield the wind will hit your chest, arms and head.
My buddy and I both have an '08 Vs, with similar miles on the odometer. We performed an mpg test 3 years ago. We gassed up together at the same gas station, same fuel, and then rode together all afternoon, on the same roads, same hills, same speeds and accellerations, and braking. We returned to the same gas station, and refueled at the same time, and then calculated our MPG. His mpg was several less than mine. The reason? He is taller, wider, and heavier than me, and he rode without any windshield, and I rode with a GIVI windscreen, in the medium position, tilted back some.

The size of the rider and a windshild made a measurable difference.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
What I meant to say was - an average size rider with a Givi windscreen will get higher mpg than a large rider with no windshield.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is pretty disappointing mileage.I get not quite so good but im riding a VTX 1800.Average about 36 combined and 42 highway.Consider this though.That little 650 hauls ass!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
How many miles so far ?

Have to wait a 1000 miles or so before starting to count valid mpg and discard the fisrt 1000 in the average mpg

My 2 cents

LOP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts