Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been playing around with a GoPro and creating simple scores to match. So many moto videos have loud/obnoxious/bad music so I thought I'd do something different.

This is how I feel when I'm riding.

More coming soon; here's a short clip of yesterday's cold ride.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,929 Posts
Heated gear (y)(y)(y) and heated grips (y)(y)(y)(y).

The grips got MORE "thumbs-up" because they are THERE all the time, especially days you didn't expect to NEED them...!

:cool:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use the heated grips ALMOST all the time... the lowest setting is really nice even when it's not "cold" out.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
125 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I went to garage and sat on my bike to watch this. Plan on doing it some more this winter.

·
Registered
Vx300 Don’t fear the Revs!
400 Posts
Got me thinking I’m missing out by not having heated gear. As it is, I don’t miss the salted roads by too much tho

First bike I’ve had with hand guards. Wind deflectors anyway. Love them! Dropping the elbows down a little even gives me some arm coverage.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
AM, I agree about the dreadful music in most moto videos. The "bro" vids are the worst: obnoxious metal repeating endlessly.

When I had my last Norton, I had a vague plan to do a video using JS Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. It would have been a great contrast, but I abandoned the video idea. If you've seen the Disney flick Fantasia, that soundtrack is part of it.

I'm seriously considering a chest cam. Any recommendations for the camera and harness?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
AM, I agree about the dreadful music in most moto videos. The "bro" vids are the worst: obnoxious metal repeating endlessly.

When I had my last Norton, I had a vague plan to do a video using JS Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. It would have been a great contrast, but I abandoned the video idea. If you've seen the Disney flick Fantasia, that soundtrack is part of it.

I'm seriously considering a chest cam. Any recommendations for the camera and harness?
I have the GoPro chest harness. Works well if you sit in the same position all the time. I typically lean forward and out in the twisties so I would have to either adjust it constantly or miss out on parts of the video.

I found the top of the helmet worked best for seeing more than I was seeing with my eyes while riding. The added benefit was that any cars around me noticed the camera and were on their best behavior.

Even crossing into Canada my buddy got heavily scrutinized, but when the border guard noticed my camera she asked if it was on. I said yes, and she said welcome to Canada. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
20,929 Posts
...If you've seen the Disney flick Fantasia, that soundtrack is part of it....
"FANTASIA" is one of my favorite movies! Saw it w/ my Mom while Dad was fighting in Korea.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Smiley I can see how the classic nature of that piece would fit a Norton.

Action cameras... are a bit like tires or oil. You can find options at any price point, with varying degrees of quality and features. A quick YouTube search for "best action cam..." will yield hours and hours of info. Some useful, some not:) That being said, I do see a few models as clear winners and I can help. I'll address the chest mount as well.

There are basically two camps of action camera. On one side you'll find cameras that allow you some "pro" flexibility: the ability to set the frame rate/shutter speed/ISO minimum and max, and few other settings, such as EV comp, white balance, color profiles and sharpness. If you're into photography, you may want to go this route.

On the other side are cameras which only function on "auto"... with perhaps some adjustability of minor settings.

BOTH will yield great results, but your choice of camera depends on WHAT result you are looking for, and how you will use the camera. If you are looking for the traditional GoPro ultra-detailed, saturated look, then most any action camera will do. If you are wanting more flexibility, you'll be limited to a smaller crop of cameras, typically the higher-priced name brands. Keep in mind that all of these cameras use tiny sensors so light is your friend. Most cameras these days will have the option for a higher frame rate if you are wanting slow-motion shots.

Here goes...

For pro flexibility, look at the GoPro Hero and DJI Osmo Action cameras:
-GoPro Hero 8,9,10, or even the 7. (Hero 9 is often accused of being buggy so YMMV).
-DJI Osmo Action or the new Action 2. Osmo Action is a great camera despite being a few years old.

-Insta 360 also makes some really interesting action cameras. I've never used one, so I can't speak into them.

If you care about such things, you can research and find that often times, the sensor is the same between cameras and only firmware or features have changed. Some features really matter to some, other features make no difference. All of the above cameras are waterproof WITHOUT a separate cage/case... which makes the camera more lightweight and easier to mount.

In general these camera feature more flexibility. They have superior image stabilization (important on a bike) and the ability to choose color profiles, so you can shoot in a saturated mode or in a more flat mode for editing later. These cameras allow you to set a constant shutter speed (as opposed to letting the camera decide), which allows for a more "cinematic" look as you can control motion blur etc. Most have replaceable/removable lense covers which allow you to fit filters or a new cover if the original becomes damaged. Nice.

For reference... I use a Hero 8... and one of the things I don't like is that it doesn't have a removable lense; you have to use a third party adapter to mount any filters. Great camera though. I go back and forth between 24 and 30 FPS when shooting.

The discussion of what frame rate/shutter speed is best... is best saved for another day. The point is the higher-end choices give you options.

If you just want to hit record and get great footage... you have more choices; you can find action cameras on Amazon that shoot in 4k for $50. To some degree, you will get what you pay for. Most of the budget action cameras do not have any image stabilization or color profiles. Most don't have a sharpness option and most will only give you one set option to shoot at 4k, which is usually 30FPS (There's nothing wrong with 30FPS). GoPro and DJI will give you the option of several frame rates for each given resolution.

Take a look at the AKASO line of cameras. Akaso has found a great middle ground between price and features, and their newest models (Brave 7, Brave 7LE, and Brave 8) feature image stabilization and are completely waterproof without an additional cage. Nice. The Brave 7 has a removable/replaceable lense cover, much like the Osmo Action does, which is great if you treat your cameras roughly. (The Brave 7 looks surprisingly similar to the DJI Osmo Action...) AKASO cameras don't give you the flexibility in shooting modes that DJI and GoPro do, but they take great images nonetheless and have good support.

So if you DON'T want the pro flexibility, I'd look at these:
Akaso Brave 8
Akaso Brave 7
Akaso Brave 7LE

The Brave 7 and 8 use newer USB-C interfacing, much like the newer GoPro and DJI cameras. This is a good thing if you don't want to have to carry different cables for all of your devices.

I've also seen good reviews on some of the SJCAM and XTU cameras.

The Akaso cameras come with a ton of extras... batteries, chargers, mounts, a remote, lots of optional bits. GoPro and DJI tend to charge extra for these things.

The DJI Osmo cameras seem to be built with photographers in mind; the Osmo Action has a removable lense cover that can be replaced with various photo filters made by third parties. GoPro and DJI are the only two cameras that are heavily supported by third parties. For example, I shoot with a variable ND filter on my GoPro. For DJI and GoPro, you can find mounts, filters, adapters, etc but for the lower priced brands, you'll be hard pressed to do so.

Lots of options, but again, in my book, the winners are as follows, in no particular order:

GoPro Hero 8
GoPro Hero 10

DJI Osmo Action
DJI Action 2

Akaso Brave 8
Akaso Brave 7
Akaso Brave 7 LE

GoPro and DJI are more full-featured, pro cameras. Akaso is more budget friendly. If you're getting the one camera to rule them all, buy a Hero 10 or a DJI Action 2 and be done. If you want a camera that can get smashed or lost with little pain, look at the Akaso cameras or find a used GoPro or Osmo Action. I'm about to get a second camera for B-roll footage, something that might see time hanging off the bottom or side of the bike; I'll look for an Akaso or a used Osmo Action as it will be more likely to suffer damage.

The Chest Mount and other extras:
As far as a chest mount, keep in mind the camera will be quite low as compared to your eyes. You'll also have to keep yourself upright.

For moto-video, I'd suggest a helmet mount instead. Your head will serve as a gimbal of sorts, smoothing out the footage, and the view will be more natural. Chin-mounted or top of helmet... whatever you prefer.

If you DO need a chest mount, GoPro makes one and there are tons to be found on Amazon. You can also get backpack strap mounts and all manner of gadgets for attaching cameras to any part or appendage imaginable.

There are a few companies making great mounts that are custom-curved for various helmet models. ChinMounts.com is one and RideTechMoto.com is another. I use a Ride-Tech mount and it's been great. It's a bit more low-profile than the Chin-Mount option.

Remember to allow for extra batteries. I can charge my camera and extra batteries while riding if need be. You also have to think about audio; you can find wind-socks or external mic attachments for most cameras. Otherwise your audio will suffer. I don't use the audio from my videos... it's a very convenient way to go:)

It's difficult to answer the "which is best" question without more info; I'm happy to help with more questions if needed. Just remember composition/framing your shot/paying attention to light is so much more important than having the latest greatest hardware. Check out a few reviews or comparison videos and you'll narrow your choice down in no time.

Hopefully this makes sense. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts