Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Did you (or the road) do something to induce the "wiggle"?

The V is a short wheelbase, nimble bike. I've found that at highway speeds and above, if I need to shift my position on the bike, its best not to use the handlebars to do that. The handlebars are for directing the bike, and not for leveraging yourself around on the bike. That is what your abdominal muscles, hips and footpegs are for. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wiggles aren't normal on my '12 V. After I broke it in, but still had like new tires on it, I took it up to 110 mph. ("indicated," I understand I was really going less than 100mph in actuality. Haven't changed the sprockets to correct the error in the stock gearing yet.) Nary a wiggle or anything. Was very stable at higher speeds. Rode to Ft Smith last month and was fully loaded with gear and side cases. I did countless bursts of speed up to 90 MPH, again, no indication of a wiggle at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
145kph wiggle---woohoo!

start with the easiest first, then work through from there

how does the tire and tire wear look?
how does the wheel look?

how much pressure is in the tire?

is the tire/wheel balanced?

good luck
dusty

·
Registered
257 Posts
check pressure first, I tookapart my steering to look at the bearings once to find my tire was way low...lol

also look and make sure you have wheel weights, they have been known to come off on occasion.

it it's still on warranty, tell a tech to look at it after checking these two non warranty issues first.

·
Registered
86 Posts
:teetertooter:got a wiggle today whilst passing a truck at speed . wind induced . strond gusting side winds can also induce these types of ocilations

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Loose headset can cause instability as can improperly set sag. The forks stick up above the top tripple clamp about 0.155 inches or so. By reducing this number you will make the bike more stable. By increasing it you will make the bike turn in faster but be more suseptable to headshake.

·
Registered
944 Posts
With about 600 miles on the bike it is likely related to setup, not wear. Check the air pressures. Rear wheel alignment also seems worth checking.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since initial posting here, bike already has 10,000+ km, stock dunlops were replaced with shinko 705 dual sport tires (bigger front and heavier too). I did another freeway speed last sunday over 150kph, wiggle is still there (I rarely reach that speed anyway). It might be the tire balance, though we dont have many balancing shops here.

At 100-120kph, there is no wiggle, no vibration, no road imperfection felt and the tires are noisier than the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
What did you set it at? Increasing sag in rear or decreasing sag in front will make bike more stable at speed. Also decreasing the amount of the fork tube sticking up above the top triple will make the bike more stable at speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts