Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I was doing some spirited riding. We were doing about +105mph in the straights and sweepers in the +60 to +80mph range where I felt a strange wobble in the front tire while in the apex of a couple of turns. First I though about road surface or some cross winds but felt it more than once. Once on a left turn and at least once on a right (I think). I installed a pair of Dunlop Roadsmarts about 1K miles ago. I'm very familiar with the road and don't recall this ever happening while riding with the OEM tires.

Need to mention that I don't usually ride at those speeds. :teetertooter: I just couldn't resist harrasing the two guys in the crotch rockets riding ahead of me :devil:

Could it be the new tires?

Ideas and experience based opinions are welcomed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Could be bearings. Lift the front and see if you can move the wheel side/side.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Are they balanced and at 32 psi front, 36 psi rear? Were you going any faster than with OEM tires? Did you replace the stock windscreen for a taller one, and/or have you added hand guards?

·
Registered
89 Posts
sounds like a fun ride..what roads were you on?
and how many miles on your bike? the shop that did the tires should have checked steering bearings, etc.
maybe it just felt loose since you were going faster than usual?..lets go ride & test that theory.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressure was 32/36, checked before I went out, balance was checked. Bearings? Should the wobble be there all (most) of the time? doubt it. Did some twisties recently, tighter turns less speed, lot more lean, no wobble, will double check tonight. Tires and service is done by Kawa techs, not too concerned about quality of service.

Yes, I was going a heck of a lot faster than usual. I usualy ride alone. When by myself I keep the speed under control. The used the guys riding ahead as early warning :)

Road CO 105 (Perry Park road) between Monument and Sedalia. Not a big ride but close to home. Low traffic, decent surface. Two lane blacktop mostly sweepers. Left a herd of curisers behind and went on to play with the guys in the sport bikes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like the front end was just uncompressing because of acceleration. Leaned over and accelerating at high speed will generally leave you feeling some front-end wobble. A steering stabilizer will help mask the issue, but really some fancy fork springs and oil will be the real solution. That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just went over some reading about it. There can be a million things that can cause it, tires, bearings, road, and uneven loaded bike. The list is long. The one thing common is that happens at high speed. We were riding at a pretty fast clip. The first time I noticed it I was going over one of the sweepers and the guy in front of me pull the break late into the turn (late for me anyway). I had to correct my line and go wide to make sure we both had room. I ended up right on the double yellow line. That was scary since I thought, "oh, crap there’s a car coming my way" or "oh, crap here goes my traction and there's a car coming my way". Fortunately, none of that happened. I stayed in my lane and did not lose traction. I had to work hard to stay in my line while minimizing lean. That is when I first felt the wobble. The second time I could barely feel it so I did not paid much attention about what was going on.

Anyway will keep reading and going down the checklist of what could be wrong. Maybe I just need to slow down a little. That would be the first thing to try and the first thing to drop if I can find another reason :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts