Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I can't change tire and it would take weeks to get appointment.
I want to wear my tkc80 in the other direction (it's a tire that won't mind, it's symetrical).
I expect to swap the left and right brake disks (for abs ring obviously and keep pads happy).

So I was wondering if the wheel is symmetrical. It sure appears so.
Is that possible?
Anyone tried that?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I haven’t tried it, but I do know the wheel is non-directional. In theory you should be fine with moving the brake rotors to the opposite sides and reversing the wheel rotation. Just be sure to label everything so you don’t get confused part way through!

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
I just checked my '15 V650 wheel - it DOES have a directional ARROW on the left side, just slightly lower than the attachment for the brake-disc, about 1.1" from the axle.

IN ADDITION (and it MIGHT NOT mean anything...) the "nubs" that are on the 'axle-side' NEAR that ARROW, apparently fitting up to the INSIDE of the brake-disc, appear slightly different side-to-side on MY wheel, and BECAUSE my camera failed on me a week ago - I CAN'T take a pic for you....

GOOD luck...!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I see.
5 bolts with same interval, disks inner edge similar, gasket and all.
Seems like mere lineup knobs...
(arrow in red circle)

I'm thinking it's mostly extra labeling for tire change (particularly on models without abs ring to reveal the left side).
If they didn't put any the disks would end up on wrong side some times before the tire is mounted.

I've seen a few mech flip carelessly tire and wheel randomly assuming they will see an arrow on each, and then hunt them down for 1-2 minutes, even not seeing the abs ring... They "need" the arrow, it's like the 'open at other end' at bottom of bottles...

And that means I'll confuse the heck of the next worker and may end up having a bad tire install... or worse, no abs.

Well, I'll have to try, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
...I've seen a few mech flip carelessly tire and wheel randomly assuming they will see an arrow on each, and then hunt them down for 1-2 minutes, even not seeing the abs ring... They "need" the arrow, it's like the 'open at other end' at bottom of bottles...

And that means I'll confuse the heck of the next worker and may end up having a bad tire install... or worse, no abs....
LAST tire I had changed at a dealer was on my '03 Suzuki Bandit 1200S. I took the wheel in, then asked the "service manager" to confirm that they KNEW which way was right (at a Suzuki dealer!!!).

They called my name that the wheel was ready. I looked at it and saw that they'd installed it backwards, then made them remove, reinstall it while I called them a bunch of idiots!

(n)(n)

And THAT is WHY I started 'doing' my own tires....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And THAT is WHY I started 'doing' my own tires....
Been thinking about it for a while, but right now I'm trying to figure all the equipment:
a) bead breaker: a bunch of 2x4s and big pivot bolts. Not sure of the design and lengths. (maybe 20$)
b) really not looking forward to take off and put back the tire(s) over the rims. I don't see myself forcing in any way or fiddling with C clamps or zip ties... (no idea$)
c) will need a compressor (fast air) to set the beads (easily 100$ for 2Gal)
d) expecting to balance with 2 rails leveled to rest the wheel on its axle (2x4s, alu angle, adjustable feet to level, maybe 20$)
e) should be able to reuse the old weights with heavy duty double sided tape (5$)

sets me back 150$, not counting whatever I need to get over the rims (3 spoons or something more effective).
I'm not keen on rim scratchers, I want smooth & controlled.

·
Registered
325 Posts
the wheel is directional because of the ABS disc. it will work the other way but you lose ABS, I know this because I did it by accident (long story). the TKC is non-directional, you can flip it but it will feel really weird for a while due to the wear pattern. done that too

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
b) really not looking forward to take off and put back the tire(s) over the rims. I don't see myself forcing in any way or fiddling with C clamps or zip ties... (no idea$)...
The Zip ties work PDG, and I use three tire irons that I bought at Princess Auto - each is 12". I have used 'tire lube' (bought from a tire shop), WD40, and "personal lubricant" (KY Jelly) to lube the tires for both OFF and ON!, and WHEN I scratch a rim I just touch-it-up w/ some gloss black Tremclad.

c) will need a compressor (fast air) to set the beads (easily 100$ for 2Gal)...
Yup - got mine at COSTCO, branded as SNAP-ON.

d) expecting to balance with 2 rails leveled to rest the wheel on its axle (2x4s, alu angle, adjustable feet to level, maybe 20$)
e) should be able to reuse the old weights with heavy duty double sided tape (5$)...
VERY IMPORTANT - warm your tires in the sun - it makes the whole job MUCH easier - and I use no-name 'dyna-beads' which I've used for MORE than 100,000 miles among my three V650s, for wheel balancing.

IMG_2631 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts