Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My versys came with 120/60-17s Owners manual says 120/70-17.:confused: Could I use either one? There's more choices with the 70s. Don't want to modify anything.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mine came with 120/70-17. The 120/70 is about half an inch taller than the 120/60-17. You bike will have faster turn in with the 120/60-17 and also be less stable at high speed. Are you the first owner?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I would stick with 120/70-17 for best handling feel. A 60 series tire requires a wider rim to have the right shape.

Straying from manufacter and tire manufacturer recommended fitment size usually comes with a cost to handing and steering feel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Thinking of going with a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trails as I do some dirt roads in NH. Any input on these?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've got Scorpion Trails. 120/70-17 and 160/60-17. But, I've only had them since the end of August. I was sold on the idea of a dual compound tire. It is true, they give up absolutely nothing in the corners; that was my main concern. They look new with only about 1000 miles, as they should. I have a feeling that they won't last much past 5000 miles. I had a look at the Tourance Next, which looks similar. They say this dual compound tire will net you upwards to 10000 miles. But at what cost? I get tires fairly cheap here where I live, and I install and balance them myself. I also live in Canada (colder climate). So I lean more towards a softer, better handling tire than most others.

Not sure about it being a very good "dirt tire". I guess as long as it is dry you should be fine.

Hope this info helps a little.

Cheers.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got Scorpion Trails. 120/70-17 and 160/60-17. ...... I had a look at the Tourance Next, which looks similar. They say this dual compound tire will net you upwards to 10000 miles. But at what cost? I get tires fairly cheap here where I live, and I install and balance them myself. I also live in Canada (colder climate). So I lean more towards a softer, better handling tire than most others.

Not sure about it being a very good "dirt tire". I guess as long as it is dry you should be fine.

Hope this info helps a little.

Cheers.

Apparently most BMW 1200 GS people keep coming back to the Tourances. Was reading an article about a tire fitter in the UK who just doesn't bother stocking anything else for the GS...

·
Registered
96 Posts
They look new with only about 1000 miles, as they should. I have a feeling that they won't last much past 5000 miles.They say this dual compound tire will net you upwards to 10000 miles. But at what cost?
I had Michelin Pilot Road 3 (two compound) and will have it again. Mine was 12.000 Km and could "strech" maybe 2.000 more but didn´t want to gamble.

·
Super Moderator
19,571 Posts
Tourance doesn't come in Versys size.
So-o-o... we raise our front fenders and install a Tourance 130/80x17 (rear) on the front, a 150/70 (rear) on the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5000 miles isn't to bad. The stockers are wearing fast at 3500 miles. Maybe the Versys is hard on tires?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The problem with the Versys as an adventure bike (which is really isn't) is poor selection of tires, if you want something more off-road. Next tire change I'll probably go with the Pirelli MT-60. They come in 120/70-17 and 160/60-17 and offer a more aggressive tread pattern for a bit better off-road use.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote waltermitty - Tourance doesn't come in Versys size.

Ah, yes they do. I almost bought them. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/metzeler-tourance-next-tires

Quote Pumpaljka - I had Michelin Pilot Road 3 (two compound) and will have it again. Mine was 12.000 Km and could "strech" maybe 2.000 more but didn´t want to gamble.

As I said above, they are claiming the new dual compound Tourance Next will do 10,000 miles. Thats 16,000 km.

Quote MotoCyclist - The problem with the Versys as an adventure bike (which is really isn't) is poor selection of tires, if you want something more off-road. Next tire change I'll probably go with the Pirelli MT-60. They come in 120/70-17 and 160/60-17 and offer a more aggressive tread pattern for a bit better off-road use.

Here we go again...no sir. The is Versys indeed an adventure bike, if you build it as such. I think the world really needs to clearly define "adventure bike". There are many who seem to confuse an "adventure bike" with a "dual sport bike". Or maybe it is me that is confused...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My vstroms had a 19" front rim which gave allot more tire choices. The MT 60s look good but are expensive. Wonder what kind of mileage you can get out of them? Decisions decisions..

·
Super Moderator
19,571 Posts
Or maybe just run a set of 22s.:)
Not sure I follow... 22s...?

The problem with the Versys as an adventure bike (which is really isn't) is poor selection of tires, if you want something more off-road. Next tire change I'll probably go with the Pirelli MT-60. They come in 120/70-17 and 160/60-17 and offer a more aggressive tread pattern for a bit better off-road use.
One HUGE advantage of the 130/80 on the front, is that your tire's circumference is pretty much the SAME as if you ran a 19" front wheel, so LOTS of advantages for LESS $....

·
Super Moderator
19,571 Posts
One of the disadvantages is that it was designed as a rear tire. Mount it backward to get the tread goin' in the right direction.
NOPE!

"jdrocks" was my inspiration on the 130/80 Tourance - he ran his mounted as per the arrows, so that's what I've done. I "bow" to his experience....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts