Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello riders.

I put a zip tie on my fork leg, and after some regular riding I see it hardly passes middle. Bike is v650 2008.

I have setup damping to 1/4 turn from the softest, and no spring preload at all.

I presume fork springs are stock, but cannot guarantee that. I presume fork oil is 10w Motul, but no guarantees too, due I own bike for first season.

I have viewed racetech charts (RT - Digital Product Search ) to see what springs I need to use and they say I need to go firmer (0.88 from 0.78 original spring stiffness). And I am confused now. Stock springs are softer and i need to use harder, According to racetech, and I do not feel this softness.

What are my next steps in setting up suspension to my weight? Change oil barely helps, even if i go with 5w. I cannot measure spring stiffness by myself (or I don't know how). I don't want to spend extra $$ especially now during war in Ukraine.

Shock is fine BTW with no spring preload and damping on slow side.

Please advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As it is same as my own a 2008
It is possible that previous owner could have changed oil weight or even springs

I changed the oil in my bike a few months ago for 7.5 and also did not fill to the specified oil height in the leg instead leaving a slightly bigger air gap by a few mm

I would be approx same weight in KG as yourself and I find I like it that little bit softer :) Irish Roads can be a bit rough
J

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
On all THREE of my V650s ('08, '09 and '15) I replaced the fork oil w/ ATF - automatic transmission fluid - something I learned when I raced enduros back in the '70s and '80s.

WalMart fork oil by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I'm quite happy w/ my forks' action. I weigh about 170# 'soaking-wet', so roughly 190# wearing ATGATT.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
795 Posts
On all THREE of my V650s ('08, '09 and '15) I replaced the fork oil w/ ATF - automatic transmission fluid - something I learned when I raced enduros back in the '70s and '80s.

I'm quite happy w/ my forks' action. I weigh about 170# 'soaking-wet', so roughly 190# wearing ATGATT.
I have to say I'm really disappointed there wasn't a way to use WD40 as fork oil. Just a little too thin I guess 😉

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So, are you recommend me to try use ATF? I have no Walmart here, so what's the specs? 75w90?

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650
36 Posts
Hello riders.

I put a zip tie on my fork leg, and after some regular riding I see it hardly passes middle. Bike is v650 2008.

I have setup damping to 1/4 turn from the softest, and no spring preload at all.

I presume fork springs are stock, but cannot guarantee that. I presume fork oil is 10w Motul, but no guarantees too, due I own bike for first season.

I have viewed racetech charts (RT - Digital Product Search ) to see what springs I need to use and they say I need to go firmer (0.88 from 0.78 original spring stiffness). And I am confused now. Stock springs are softer and i need to use harder, According to racetech, and I do not feel this softness.

What are my next steps in setting up suspension to my weight? Change oil barely helps, even if i go with 5w. I cannot measure spring stiffness by myself (or I don't know how). I don't want to spend extra $$ especially now during war in Ukraine.

Shock is fine BTW with no spring preload and damping on slow side.

Please advice. Thanks.
Hi Dmitry,
I know you have a 2008 bike, and mine is new, but if it helps, (and my forks are totally different to your more usual basic type)- I lifted the front end off the ground on a stem stand, and there was only 15mm of sag used when the bike was back on the side stand. Which surprised me as road bike usually has more than this.
I haven't bothered with a zip tie on the fork leg to see how much it compresses on riding, but the marks on the chrome bit show around 40mm is the compression being used.

Perhaps the previous Owner(s) have added washers to increase the preload or changed the internal thin pipe that is between the fork cap and the spring ?
Like the clutch, you'll end up having to strip the forks down a bit to see what is going on.

Anyway, just keep those rotten Ruzzian's away from Independent Ukraine, they'll steal your bike for sure.

Rob.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rob.

I have asked previous owned, if he changed fork internals, he responded no. But I am 3rd owner, so I'll definitely need to check what's inside. Maybe there is bad oil inside, maybe different springs, maybe something else.

Will report when I will disassemble my fork, but it will be in cold times. Now I will ride and ride.

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
I have to say I'm really disappointed there wasn't a way to use WD40 as fork oil. Just a little too thin I guess 😉
Believe it or not - for no particular reason I've never even thought of WD40 in my forks...! When I started riding enduros my friends suggested ATF. It worked so well that it's all I've used since.

What’s the benefit or properties using atf vs fork oil?
I don't know IF there are any extra benefits, but my Gen 1 ('08 and '09) and Gen 3 ('15) forks are very compliant, both on paved and non-paved surfaces, and I USED to ride pretty hard and fast - not so much NOW.

So, are you recommend me to try use ATF? I have no Walmart here, so what's the specs? 75w90?
No - ATF is fairly thin, probably around 5 to 7.5, so just give it a try. It WON'T hurt the seals.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
676 Posts
I was considering trying lower viscosity for my forks. Ride is a little sharper than I’d like up front and much of the travel goes unused. I’ll give ATF a shot and see how it goes?

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
When changing to ATF I just drained, then replaced as per the SERVICE MANUAL .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts