Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a front stand to change the front tire, but eventually I plan to service the steering bearings so I built a stand that picks up the bike by the frame above the radiator, leaving the lower triple free to remove. This front stand lifts the frame securely but side-to-side stability comes from the rear stand. The diagonal brace is screwed in place after the bike is lifted to guarantee that the thing stays up 'til the job is done.

Lifting the front is effortless. I cut a length to prop the thing up at the right height, initially with a c-clamp to get it right, then with a single screw so it can be swung out of the way. For safety, I asked for help during lift & un-lift.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Interesting.
There is about 120lbs on each hole though resting on 1/8"...
I would do 3+ turns of safety wire brace just in case the wood split.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Clever use of "mechanical advantage". Only drawback is the size and having room to save it. Agree about some wire wrap bracing as its 2x4...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I once did it with some bricks under the skidplate. So I think your solution is better. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some large hose clamps would work also. In my case the wood chosen is dense and strong, but quality varies widely from one piece to another so reinforcement is a good idea.
I'll remove the cross members to store it until needed again.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
Here's what I did using T-REX stands, plus a 'jack' under the engine, as well as a 2x4 stand below the crash-bars, (as well as straps to the ceiling - just in case)...!

forks off:stem stand copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts