Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As a new member it’s good to read the experiences of other owners. I am thinking of converting to a 15 tooth front, without going down on rear sprocket.
Does it make that much of a difference as it sounds like a no brainier if most miles are on road ? I live in quite hilly area of Wales.
Wondering if it has any effect on bikes other systems like ABS …does it throw any warnings on dash Or does it just work seamlessly ?
I think it's a significant change, but it hasn't had any effect on my ABS, nor has it created any dash warnings. (I haven't tested the speedometer accuracy yet, but that's next.) What strikes me is that I no longer have to constantly shift on the road to get it up to speed. In town, I can scoot around in 5th gear w/o having to drop it into 6th just to keep up with traffic. On the trails, I can scoot along slowly in 1st or 2nd while dodging potholes and rocks. I have no regrets going from a 14-tooth to a 15.

·
Registered
90 Posts
(I haven't tested the speedometer accuracy yet, but that's next.)
Speed is measured from the rear wheel, so changing to a 15-tooth front sprocket will make no difference.

For unsealed roads, the original gearing is better, but I ride 80:20 on the blacktop, and the 15-toother just lowers the revs enough to take the edge off the tone of the motor when out on the motorway. Even on gravel roads, the 15-tooth sprocket is not a problem although I find that 2nd is a little low and 3rd is a tad high in the tight downhill corners where a wee bit more engine braking would be nice.

On the other hand, if I was:
a 50:50 sealed:unsealed road rider​
a big XXL-sized guy weighing over 220 lb (100 kg)​
carrying a pillion often, or​
riding mostly on back roads​
I would stick with the stock 14-tooth front sprocket.
I too have no regrets going from a 14-tooth to a 15. I expect a longer front sprocket and chain life as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it's a significant change, but it hasn't had any effect on my ABS, nor has it created any dash warnings. (I haven't tested the speedometer accuracy yet, but that's next.) What strikes me is that I no longer have to constantly shift on the road to get it up to speed. In town, I can scoot around in 5th gear w/o having to drop it into 6th just to keep up with traffic. On the trails, I can scoot along slowly in 1st or 2nd while dodging potholes and rocks. I have no regrets going from a 14-tooth to a 15.
Thanks for a comprehensive info. I have ordered a 15T for not a lot of cash it seems like a no brainier. Nice folk on this forum fair play.

·
Registered
615 Posts
As a new member it’s good to read the experiences of other owners. I am thinking of converting to a 15 tooth front, without going down on rear sprocket.
Does it make that much of a difference as it sounds like a no brainier if most miles are on road ? I live in quite hilly area of Wales.
Wondering if it has any effect on bikes other systems like ABS …does it throw any warnings on dash Or does it just work seamlessly ?
The 15T works seamlessly without any issues.
As the bike receives its speed data from the rear wheel ABS disc regearing does not affect the speedo. It still reads slightly optimistic.

However, the 15/44 on earlier X300's (2017-19?) WILL cause issues with the gear indicator, ABS, and speedo. At some time around 2020 the ECU must have been reflashed to allow higher final gearing options but early models cannot handle such gearing without faulting.

15/46 or 14/43 are fine for earlier models. See Versys x300 - Sprockets/Re-gearing Causes Engine Fault Light
Even higher gearing is possible from around 2020-21 models onward without an engine management faults 24 and 25 disabling the gear indicator, speedo and ABS.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts