Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching and found a great how-to guide on these very forums. The steps sounded simple enough so I thought I'd dive in and learn something new. However the pics that go along with it seem to be missing. It's from back in '08.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1784

So I'm looking at step 5 and I'm looking at the "cup washer" bit.

It says to open it up, which i assume means to bend it away from the nut so my socket can slip over it. I gave it a go with a flat screw driver but that thing is harder than it looks. My question is, how much force can be safely applied here? My dad suggested giving it a tap with a hammer, but something about hammering the drive train of my engine makes me squeamish.

Help me out here, does anyone have a trick for this or am I just being a giant *****? Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
Listen to Dad....

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
My Dad always said "Never 'FORCE' a fine piece of machinery! ...Just use a bigger hammer, if necessary."

But in your case - stop tapping before the tangs flattens against the engine case. That way the tang takes the abuse, and not whatever is supporting it underneath. You should be able to get the socket on it at that point.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Be sure to read up on the different ways to take that front socket nut off, it's a total PITA.

I ended up using a socket wedged between one of the gear teeth and the cross member to break it loose.

(Sorry, i can't find the thread that talks about this method right now, maybe someone else will chime in?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone. Just got back home and time to wrap this baby up.

I did read other threads on getting the nut off. Will see what kind of damage my 1/2" impact gun can do once i get that cup thing bent out of the way...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, flattening that cup washer was nothing. Few gentle taps with a hammer and its done.

I understand I'm supposed to grease up this new sprocket with something? What works and should i be slathering the whole thing or just the inner and outer edges?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about all the posts/questions. Yeah that nut don't want to come off. I took the bend out of the one side of the washer that was touching the nut. Am I supposed to flatten out the whole thing to allow the thing to spin or maybe a longer breaker bar is needed? I'm using a 12 point 27mm socket on there and in the pic you can see some cut marks on the nut from the impact gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry about all the posts/questions. Yeah that nut don't want to come off. I took the bend out of the one side of the washer that was touching the nut. Am I supposed to flatten out the whole thing to allow the thing to spin or maybe a longer breaker bar is needed? I'm using a 12 point 27mm socket on there and in the pic you can see some cut marks on the nut from the impact gun.

Wrong socket!!!!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
6 point socket will get a better hold than a 12. What kind of impact are you using? How much force? Not all are strong enough.

·
Super Moderator
19,780 Posts
Do NOT use a 12 point for that nut - get a 6 point impact socket (I believe 1 1/16" fits...).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Bringing this topic back up. Haven't tried to remove the engine sprocket nut yet. The washer that's bent over...can it be reused or should I buy a new one. If so, where? Couldn't find it on Partzilla or Bike Bandit.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
Bringing this topic back up. Haven't tried to remove the engine sprocket nut yet. The washer that's bent over...can it be reused or should I buy a new one. If so, where? Couldn't find it on Partzilla or Bike Bandit.
It can be re-used...

·
Registered
308 Posts
for years I have used a wood chisel put the flat of the chisel on the nut-makes the washer very reusable

·
Super Moderator
19,780 Posts
for years I have used a wood chisel put the flat of the chisel on the nut-makes the washer very reusable
As a guess - the washer on my '08 has been re-used 5 or 6 times, and it's still fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts