Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove the front sprocket nut. Yes, the washer has been bent back out of the way and the correct 1/2 drive socket is being used. I even tried an pneumatic impact wrench using 120 psi. Won't budge.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm just about to do this too...thanks for the tips and tricks in previous threads!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
In order to get mine loose I had to add a 48" cheater to my breaker bar and borrow a LARGE neighbor to lean on it. The first "ping" is the toughest, after that it came off easily. Some recommend putting a block through the wheel, but then you have to compensate for rubber cushion in the hub. I just applied the rear brake while the large neighbor did what came natural.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Trying to remove the front sprocket nut. Yes, the washer has been bent back out of the way and the correct 1/2 drive socket is being used. I even tried an pneumatic impact wrench using 120 psi. Won't budge.

Any ideas?
I put a block of wood in between the rear spokes so the tire wouldn't move and used a big breaker bar on the wrench. I had to stand on the breaker bar and the nut came loose.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I also padded the block of wood in rear wheel with dense blanket to avoid denting the swingarm's thin aluminum wall... Broke nut loose with extension pipe on 1/2" drive breaker bar and 6-point 1-1/16" (26.9875mm) socket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maxed-out compressor to 160 psi, 3/4 impact driver and presto! nut came off. Maybe the guy who tightens it at the factory needs to have his fingers broken.

·
Registered
601 Posts
How many replaced the "rear sprocket washer" as recommended in the service manual? I think that's the piece that has the bent side.

I'll pick up a 6-point socket today. It would be nice to have a good 6-point set. They seem to come in handy often.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
How many replaced the "rear sprocket washer" as recommended in the service manual? I think that's the piece that has the bent side.

I'll pick up a 6-point socket today. It would be nice to have a good 6-point set. They seem to come in handy often.
Not me - I re-used the originals. When looking at sockets - doesn't hurt to get them as "impact sockets"....

·
Registered
601 Posts
I picked up the impact socket, eventually got the nut off. Replaced the sprockets and chain and found out my torque wrench doesn't go to 92 ft lbs and I also couldn't get the nut torqued down to the limit of my wrench on my own. I found a shop that could squeeze me in. Nice piece of mind knowing that it's torqued properly.

On another note...the aftermarket front sprocket that I installed (Sunstar) did not have the rubber dampener. The guys at Sprocket Center kindly convinced me that it would be fine and that all chain and sprocket combinations will sound different. It does sound different, but it doesn't sound louder than stock.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
I picked up the impact socket, eventually got the nut off. Replaced the sprockets and chain and found out my torque wrench doesn't go to 92 ft lbs and I also couldn't get the nut torqued down to the limit of my wrench on my own. I found a shop that could squeeze me in. Nice piece of mind knowing that it's torqued properly.

On another note...the aftermarket front sprocket that I installed (Sunstar) did not have the rubber dampener. The guys at Sprocket Center kindly convinced me that it would be fine and that all chain and sprocket combinations will sound different. It does sound different, but it doesn't sound louder than stock.
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 1/2" torque wrench ($9.95 w/ a coupon from Cycle World) which WILL go quite a bit higher...!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts