Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

Registered
Keep in mind the sprocket change won't affect the speedometer on the x300. It reads off the rear wheel speed sensor (also functions as abs sensor if you have abs), so your speedo and the traffic speed signs will still be the same relationship as before.
Ahhh.. I had assumed the speed was read off of a sensor from the output shaft, like many other bikes.

In this case, I wonder why they didn't read the speed off of the front wheel, so sprocket changes would be more flexible.

Hope you enjoy the new gearing more once you start revving higher ! These 300s start getting fun about 8k rpms 馃槈
I'm starting to push it up the rev range a bit and not adhering 100% to the manual.
It def. feels more alive above 4500 RPM.

Premium Member
Just finished installing the rubber bumpered 15t sprocket using @Dave 300x 's videos. The installation went really smooth, no issues at all. Took about an hour, but a good chunk of that was making sure the chain was aligned and tensioned correctly after the sprocket installation. Thanks Dave.

The bike feels so much better now, this is probably the best upgrade one can do to the x300. The bike doesn't have that stressed feeling at speed anymore. Took it for a quick spin and in 6th gear I'm showing ~7,200rpm at 65mph (~105kph) indicated and ~8,400rpm at 75mph (~121kph) indicated. At both speeds the bike felt relaxed and my TBR slip-on wasn't roaring as it usually does at these speeds. The bike felt really happy and quiet doing things like cruising down my road in 4th gear, when I normally would run it in 5th-6th to keep the noise down a bit for the neighbors.

Registered
I wouldn't say more speed, specifically, because max speed in 6th might be less. I haven't tried because I am not interested in max speed.
You lose about 500/700 rpm at cruising speed in 6th. Unless one is into pulling stumps or a trials rider, I don't think 1st gear offroad will suffer.
I weigh 75 kgs so results may vary, et al..
The versys 300 has exactly the same engine and gear box of Ninja 300 and 300Z, both with 14T x 42T sprockets. So, you have NONE problem and better results to use this 14 x 42 in the Versys 300. In mine Versys, I have 15 x 42, with excellent results in all gears and revs鈥︹.. for me, much better bike, although you must use one gear up , in relation a stock one, when climbing a hard ramp.

Registered
Just finished installing the rubber bumpered 15t sprocket using @Dave 300x 's videos. The installation went really smooth, no issues at all. Took about an hour, but a good chunk of that was making sure the chain was aligned and tensioned correctly after the sprocket installation. Thanks Dave.

The bike feels so much better now, this is probably the best upgrade one can do to the x300. The bike doesn't have that stressed feeling at speed anymore. Took it for a quick spin and in 6th gear I'm showing ~7,200rpm at 65mph (~105kph) indicated and ~8,400rpm at 75mph (~121kph) indicated. At both speeds the bike felt relaxed and my TBR slip-on wasn't roaring as it usually does at these speeds. The bike felt really happy and quiet doing things like cruising down my road in 4th gear, when I normally would run it in 5th-6th to keep the noise down a bit for the neighbors.
You are welcome. The 15 front for me was the first real update I completed on my X300. I do not jam on the freeway at 70 or 80 mph so I'm happy with the X300 just cruising along on back roads.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts