Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

Registered
Keep in mind the sprocket change won't affect the speedometer on the x300. It reads off the rear wheel speed sensor (also functions as abs sensor if you have abs), so your speedo and the traffic speed signs will still be the same relationship as before.
Ahhh.. I had assumed the speed was read off of a sensor from the output shaft, like many other bikes.

In this case, I wonder why they didn't read the speed off of the front wheel, so sprocket changes would be more flexible.

Hope you enjoy the new gearing more once you start revving higher ! These 300s start getting fun about 8k rpms 馃槈
I'm starting to push it up the rev range a bit and not adhering 100% to the manual.
It def. feels more alive above 4500 RPM.

Premium Member
Just finished installing the rubber bumpered 15t sprocket using @Dave 300x 's videos. The installation went really smooth, no issues at all. Took about an hour, but a good chunk of that was making sure the chain was aligned and tensioned correctly after the sprocket installation. Thanks Dave.

The bike feels so much better now, this is probably the best upgrade one can do to the x300. The bike doesn't have that stressed feeling at speed anymore. Took it for a quick spin and in 6th gear I'm showing ~7,200rpm at 65mph (~105kph) indicated and ~8,400rpm at 75mph (~121kph) indicated. At both speeds the bike felt relaxed and my TBR slip-on wasn't roaring as it usually does at these speeds. The bike felt really happy and quiet doing things like cruising down my road in 4th gear, when I normally would run it in 5th-6th to keep the noise down a bit for the neighbors.

Registered
I wouldn't say more speed, specifically, because max speed in 6th might be less. I haven't tried because I am not interested in max speed.
You lose about 500/700 rpm at cruising speed in 6th. Unless one is into pulling stumps or a trials rider, I don't think 1st gear offroad will suffer.
I weigh 75 kgs so results may vary, et al..
The versys 300 has exactly the same engine and gear box of Ninja 300 and 300Z, both with 14T x 42T sprockets. So, you have NONE problem and better results to use this 14 x 42 in the Versys 300. In mine Versys, I have 15 x 42, with excellent results in all gears and revs鈥︹.. for me, much better bike, although you must use one gear up , in relation a stock one, when climbing a hard ramp.

Registered
Just finished installing the rubber bumpered 15t sprocket using @Dave 300x 's videos. The installation went really smooth, no issues at all. Took about an hour, but a good chunk of that was making sure the chain was aligned and tensioned correctly after the sprocket installation. Thanks Dave.

The bike feels so much better now, this is probably the best upgrade one can do to the x300. The bike doesn't have that stressed feeling at speed anymore. Took it for a quick spin and in 6th gear I'm showing ~7,200rpm at 65mph (~105kph) indicated and ~8,400rpm at 75mph (~121kph) indicated. At both speeds the bike felt relaxed and my TBR slip-on wasn't roaring as it usually does at these speeds. The bike felt really happy and quiet doing things like cruising down my road in 4th gear, when I normally would run it in 5th-6th to keep the noise down a bit for the neighbors.
You are welcome. The 15 front for me was the first real update I completed on my X300. I do not jam on the freeway at 70 or 80 mph so I'm happy with the X300 just cruising along on back roads.

Registered
Can someone please send me a link to buy this 15t rubber sprocket ?
Thanks
David
https://www.amazon.com/-/pt/gp/aw/d/B06X9VWRHR/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This was my second attempt at a JT Sprockets 15 Tooth Rubber Cushion and purchased part number JTF520.15RB and now know it WILL NOT WORK so that was failure #2.
But see below for a solution straight from JT Sprocket Technical staff.
The 15 sprocket you can buy in Amazon鈥.. but you must to buy some Kawa washers according explained in a video posted by Dave 300x posted in these discussions

Registered
The 15 sprocket you can buy in Amazon鈥.. but you must to buy some Kawa washers according explained in a video posted by Dave 300x posted in these discussions
The link you have just above this reply WILL NOT WORK on the X300. It was one that I experimented with and it is for a different chain size. So, again to not buy that sprocket.
Sprocket sourced from (Dennis Kirk dot com) link: JT Sprockets Front Rubber Cushioned Sprocket - JTF565.15RB Dirt Bike Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
ALSO the sprocket part number JTF565.15RB is available to order on Amazon however, there is a lead time: https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets...rb&qid=1662172407&sprefix=,aps,84&sr=8-1&th=1

The two different part number Kawasaki washers sourced from (Partszilla dot com)
Quantity of THREE of the 92200-0851 Kawasaki washer, link: Kawasaki 92200-0851 - WASHER | Partzilla.com
Quanity of ONE of the 92200-1389 Kawasaki washer, link: Kawasaki 92200-1389 - WASHER | Partzilla.com
There are all inexpensive parts for this sprocket swap.
Disclaimer: I am NOT A PROFESSIONAL Actor! No critics please. lol
I've published a 2 part video that explains the front sprocket swap to a JT Sprockets 15 Tooth Rubber Cushion. The links:
(8289) 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube
(8289) 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket Rubber Cushion 15T sprocket part 2 of 2 - YouTube

Reactions: NeverSatisfied

Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
Ten minute swap and less than $30.00 with no hunting down spline spacers from OEM parts suppliers:

Most common complaint from reviewers on YouTube regarding the X300 was that they hit 3rd gear before crossing an intersection after the light turned green. I concur. I was starting from 2nd after a stop, 1st gear was utterly useless. With no plans to putt-putt around in the woods at less than walking speed, the 46-->43 rear sprocket swap was a no-brainer. Once T13 Motorsports finishes their 3D printed CAI for the X300 and I install my Delkevic full exhaust and get a dyno-tuned ECU flash, I may drop another tooth or perhaps go 14-->15 up front. I'd love to offroad this bike but besides SOAL, there just isn't any offroading opportunities in Ohio as every cool spot to do so is either private property or State Park land with no OHVs permitted.

Registered
Ten minute swap and less than $30.00 with no hunting down spline spacers from OEM parts suppliers:

Most common complaint from reviewers on YouTube regarding the X300 was that they hit 3rd gear before crossing an intersection after the light turned green. I concur. I was starting from 2nd after a stop, 1st gear was utterly useless. With no plans to putt-putt around in the woods at less than walking speed, the 46-->43 rear sprocket swap was a no-brainer. Once T13 Motorsports finishes their 3D printed CAI for the X300 and I install my Delkevic full exhaust and get a dyno-tuned ECU flash, I may drop another tooth or perhaps go 14-->15 up front. I'd love to offroad this bike but besides SOAL, there just isn't any offroading opportunities in Ohio as every cool spot to do so is either private property or State Park land with no OHVs permitted.
14/15 or 46/43 or 240/250 <my attempt at humor> it is probable one of the most common X300 bike changes made. I've seen some posts about tightness of the chain. (Unrelated to sprockets - sort of) I did the best I could to load the X300 on the ground with my body weight and determined the chain was a bit too tight. I didn't have someone around that weighs what I do to make sure, so I loosened it up just 2/3 of a turn on the two adjusters and that made a difference. Now time for a road test. Anyone have a better idea on chain tightness? Once I get this really dialed in, I'll measure what the chain movement is on the center stand and then I'll have that going forward.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied

Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
14/15 or 46/43 or 240/250 <my attempt at humor> it is probable one of the most common X300 bike changes made. I've seen some posts about tightness of the chain. (Unrelated to sprockets - sort of) I did the best I could to load the X300 on the ground with my body weight and determined the chain was a bit too tight. I didn't have someone around that weighs what I do to make sure, so I loosened it up just 2/3 of a turn on the two adjusters and that made a difference. Now time for a road test. Anyone have a better idea on chain tightness? Once I get this really dialed in, I'll measure what the chain movement is on the center stand and then I'll have that going forward.
Chain deflection specs are printed right on the swingarm, and that spec assumes no weight on the bike. If you wanna double check without a helper, use some ratchet straps to compress the rear spring.

Premium Member
2022 Versys X 300
They aren鈥檛 riding the bike properly. Spin the engine up more before up shifting.
Can't speak directly for them but my personal experience was the same. I don't wish to soar into 5 digits on the tach when simply running errands in town. Again, the granny gear is great for everyone here who's actually using it...I'm envious of people in Wyoming and the like with 100s of miles of single track to explore...but for me this bike is mainly the equivalent of a Honda Fit that sees weekend duty on curvy roads. And I commute once a week an hour South and see a lot of freeway running. I'm not 2nd guessing Kawasaki engineers, I'm just throwing away one of this bike's hats I'll never wear.

Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
I get it. I tool around too sometimes. I have recalibrated my riding style for this bike. Took me a while before using more of first gear, or all the gears for that matter 馃槀
I鈥檓 mostly commuting in 鈥済otta get there now鈥 mode on the way in, more casual on the way home. The engine/gear box is designed for a taller geared ninja. I鈥檓 sure a purpose built x300 would have come together a little different. I鈥檓 happy with my upright adventure ninja

Registered
So we have a mutant ninja motorcycle ... I guess if you have a skid plate, your "shell" is on the bottom, but we are far from teenagers 馃槀

View attachment 190657
I wear all the protective jacket, boots, pants, gloves, helmet and at times I feel like I'm in a shell like a ninja.

• Haha
Reactions: JT in GA

Registered
I get it. I tool around too sometimes. I have recalibrated my riding style for this bike. Took me a while before using more of first gear, or all the gears for that matter 馃槀
I鈥檓 mostly commuting in 鈥済otta get there now鈥 mode on the way in, more casual on the way home. The engine/gear box is designed for a taller geared ninja. I鈥檓 sure a purpose built x300 would have come together a little different. I鈥檓 happy with my upright adventure ninja
Would love to see your setup!! Sounds cool. I鈥檝e got an x 300 that I鈥檓 really happy with.

Registered
The versys 300 has exactly the same engine and gear box of Ninja 300 and 300Z, both with 14T x 42T sprockets. So, you have NONE problem and better results to use this 14 x 42 in the Versys 300. In mine Versys, I have 15 x 42, with excellent results in all gears and revs鈥︹.. for me, much better bike, although you must use one gear up , in relation a stock one, when climbing a hard ramp.
Just picked up a new '22 and that first 150 miles was certainly agonizing and difficult (35 mph in 6th gear at the 4000 rev limit is pretty ridiculous). Just installed the 42 T sprocket on the rear and that is an improvement, but I want to also go 15 on the front. Sounds like that is working for you?? No problem with 'error codes' or ABS??

Registered
Just picked up a new '22 and that first 150 miles was certainly agonizing and difficult (35 mph in 6th gear at the 4000 rev limit is pretty ridiculous). Just installed the 42 T sprocket on the rear and that is an improvement, but I want to also go 15 on the front. Sounds like that is working for you?? No problem with 'error codes' or ABS??
With the 2022 model there are many X300 owners that have gone to the 15/42. Mine is at the 15/46 gearing and that made a difference I could tell. I'm not jamming on the highway but, like the relaxed RPM of the X300 in the type of riding I do. It lowers the overall noise of the bike. I'm in the minority of X300 owners, where I want a quiet bike. The 15 front is a part of the noise reduction along with my custom windshield. I have almost no wind noise and zero helmet buffeting. My bike is quiet! Perfect (for me)

Reactions: JT in GA
61 - 80 of 86 Posts