Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
And the results - 100% install and test ride and it works perfect and it is silent - as in no gear noise. The 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing of the front sprocket from the stock 14 tooth Rubber Cushion to a JT Sprocket 15 tooth Rubber Cushion. The JT Sprocket is an alternate sprocket that is different in the width of the sprocket at the center spline. The videos are how to do this update and what is needed to take care of the width difference. The solution is to use two Kawasaki washer parts numbers to in essence fill the gap. The stock sprocket is 9.3mm wide and the alternate is 5.8mm wide. At length the JT Sprocket tech confirmed that this alternate will not be an issue with the narrower width. The two videos will walk you through the process and provide the part numbers of everything needed. (the JT sprocket and the two Kawasaki washers). This is a pretty easy task to do it you have the right tools. Ask any questions in the comments. The road test went great. There is an advantage with the 15 tooth sprocket to lower the RPM of the bike through out the gears. The new gear provides: 5500 rpm at 50 mph, 6700 rpm at 60 mph, 7700 rpm at 70 mph and 9000 rpm at 80 mph. About a 10% lowering in 6th gear.
What you will need: quantity of ONE JT Sprocket Part number JTF565-15RB, quantity of ONE Kawasaki washer part# 92200-1389 and a quantity of THREE Kawasaki washers part# 92200-0851.

Sprocket sourced from (Dennis Kirk dot com) link: JT Sprockets Front Rubber Cushioned Sprocket - JTF565.15RB Dirt Bike Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
The two different part number Kawasaki washers sourced from (Partszilla dot com)
Quantity of THREE of the 92200-0851 Kawasaki washer, link: Kawasaki 92200-0851 - WASHER | Partzilla.com
Quanity of ONE of the 92200-1389 Kawasaki washer, link: Kawasaki 92200-1389 - WASHER | Partzilla.com
There are all inexpensive parts for this sprocket swap.
Disclaimer: I am NOT A PROFESSIONAL Actor! No critics please. lol
I've published a 2 part video that explains the front sprocket swap to a JT Sprockets 15 Tooth Rubber Cushion. The links:
(8289) 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket 15T rubber cushion (part 1 of 2) - YouTube
(8289) 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing to a JT Sprocket Rubber Cushion 15T sprocket part 2 of 2 - YouTube

This is the third attempt to do this and is 100% now available to all . Enjoy !

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi guy's,
I just bought my versys 300x, and i want to replace the front sprocket to 15t.
I searched all the web for a rubber 15t that fits the 300x but i dont find it anywhere.
Any clue where i can buy it? And send it to Israel?
Thanks in advance
David
See my entry dated 7/26/2021 in this tread for the 15 tooth rubber cushion solution.

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
124 Posts
How about your thoughts on 1st gear? Is it still pretty low? Can you make it across an intersection without having to shift?

·
Registered
230 Posts
How about your thoughts on 1st gear? Is it still pretty low? Can you make it across an intersection without having to shift?
With the 15 tooth sprocket 1st gear is a little taller. With the 14 tooth starting from a stop sign the bike would get to about 11 miles an hour before I would hear the engine revving up and I sensed it was time to shift to 2nd gear so now with the 15 tooth gear I hear the engine revving up at about 15 miles an hour before I shift to 2nd. The noticeable difference is before with the 14 tooth I would routinely start out from a stop sign in 2nd gear avoiding 1st gear altogether and it would be pretty smooth so now with the 15 tooth starting out in 2nd takes some clutch lever finesse and takes longer to get up to about 20 miles per hour before the bike is above the RPM of where engine is struggling ( below 5000 ). So that is different. As you go up into 3rd and 4th there is now a bigger gap between them where before I would just go from 2nd straight into 4th gear and it would be seamless. And 5th and 6th are now noticeably taller. I'm really happy with the results. From everything I've read in these treads on this forum going to a 15 tooth is it. Anything taller causes a lot of errors to show up on the dashboard. ( ABS, Check Eng., blanks gear indicator and I think it messes with the odometer). Enjoy. Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And the results - 100% install and test ride and it works perfect and it is silent - as in no gear noise. The 2017 to 2021 Kawasaki Versys X300 changing of the front sprocket from the stock 14 tooth Rubber Cushion to a JT Sprocket 15 tooth Rubber Cushion. The JT Sprocket is an alternate sprocket that is different in the width of the sprocket at the center spline. The videos are how to do this update and what is needed to take care of the width difference. The solution is to use two Kawasaki washer parts numbers to in essence fill the gap. The stock sprocket is 9.3mm wide and the alternate is 5.8mm wide. At length the JT Sprocket tech confirmed that this alternate will not be an issue with the narrower width. The two videos will walk you through the process and provide the part numbers of everything needed.
The skinnier sprocket itself might be tougher but what about the drive shaft?
My concern would be the extra force, per surface area, that is exerted on the drive shaft splines, which is almost double what they are with the 5.8m sprocket.

Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
230 Posts
The skinnier sprocket itself might be tougher but what about the drive shaft?
My concern would be the extra force, per surface area, that is exerted on the drive shaft splines, which is almost double what they are with the 5.8m sprocket.

Any thoughts on that?
The X300 puts out 39 (ish) horsepower. I had a very long discussion with a Technical Staff member at J.T.Sprockets and covered the concern of the thinner JT565 series sprocket compared to the stock. (5.8mm wide instead of 9.3mm wide for OEM). As that is a difference. The staff member assured me that the X300 is not a concern as the JT565 sprockets are factory on bike up to a full liter bike (1000cc). The shaft and sprockets are hardened and with correct installation to assure no movement at all there is no way the X300 bike will have any effect using the thinner sprocket. I've had my JT565 sprocket on my bike to 1/2 season = over 2000 miles and no issues at all. The X300 is nowhere near the limit of the parts. I was assured of this from a very knowledgeable J.T. Sprocket technical (engineer actually) person.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
The X300 puts out 39 (ish) horsepower. I had a very long discussion with a Technical Staff member at J.T.Sprockets and covered the concern of the thinner JT565 series sprocket compared to the stock. (5.8mm wide instead of 9.3mm wide for OEM). As that is a difference. The staff member assured me that the X300 is not a concern as the JT565 sprockets are factory on bike up to a full liter bike (1000cc). The shaft and sprockets are hardened and with correct installation to assure no movement at all there is no way the X300 bike will have any effect using the thinner sprocket. I've had my JT565 sprocket on my bike to 1/2 season = over 2000 miles and no issues at all. The X300 is nowhere near the limit of the parts. I was assured of this from a very knowledgeable J.T. Sprocket technical (engineer actually) person.
Thanks, this question has been on my mind as well. Since I do a lot of stop-and-go in the city while commuting, I'm constantly having to bang through the gears, so moving to a 15t seems like the best solution. I will go ahead and order the parts based on your threads and videos.

Great work, thank you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Got it.
Follow up question.
Since a 43T rear sprocket with the stock 14T, gives the same ratio as the 15T front + factory 46T, why not just change the rear and not worry about the skinnier front?

Good question. The front sprocket is under $30 with the extra Kawasaki washers needed or as cheap as $11 for the 15 tooth NON-rubber bumpered. That is cheap. The OEM rear sprocket is $65. The rear requires the removal of the rear wheel so for that it requires supporting the rear of the bike off the ground (center stand or other means). For an X300 owner therefore must have a center stand or see picture for alternate motorcycle off the ground approach (see my channel for all the detail on the exoskeleton on my X300). One of many videos. So you can go either way. It is based on cost and whether or not the bike can be supported with the rear off the ground. With the rear there is an additional pain of aligning the chain again and to do that right you need a chain alignment tool as the marks on the swingarm only get you close. Just my thoughts.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks, this question has been on my mind as well. Since I do a lot of stop-and-go in the city while commuting, I'm constantly having to bang through the gears, so moving to a 15t seems like the best solution. I will go ahead and order the parts based on your threads and videos.

Great work, thank you.
When you are done with the 15 tooth rubber bumpered sprocket you will maintain quiet chain / sprocket function. There are X300 owners that complained that the noise on the bare 15 tooth is annoying For me that is a NO-GO so, that is why I researched a solution with J.T. Sprocket's engineer. What I am seeing is, like others have said, about a 10% change in gearing. That is a big enough difference to provide a calmer driving bike. So with the 15 tooth here is what you can expect: @ 50 mph the RPM = 5500, @ 60 mph the RPM = 6600, @ 70 mph the RPM = 7800, and @80 mph the RPM = 9000. All that is about 10% lower. Technically, I have no business doing 80 mph in this state. I've must have lost track of what I was doing. lol (all for science)

·
Registered
11 Posts
See my entry dated 7/26/2021 in this tread for the 15 tooth rubber cushion solution.
@Dave 300x Thanks for taking the trouble to put all this together. I'm a little confused about your link to the Dennis Kirk for the Sprocket? The model check on the webiste says "Item DOES NOT fit your 2021 Kawasaki KLE300C Versys-X 300 ABS" Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
@Dave 300x Thanks for taking the trouble to put all this together. I'm a little confused about your link to the Dennis Kirk for the Sprocket? The model check on the webiste says "Item DOES NOT fit your 2021 Kawasaki KLE300C Versys-X 300 ABS" Am I missing something?
That is correct. The website assumes you are looking for a drop-in replacement sprocket and the 15t rubber-bumpered sprocket will not work as a drop-in, hence the warning and the need for the additional washers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the JT all-steel 15-tooth front sprocket. No need for washers. It fits straight onto the countershaft.
There is a very, very slight increase in vibration from the chain, but it is nothing more than a tickle and you will soon get used to it. I really like the 15-tooth conversion. The stock gearing was way too low for the highway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I decided to go with changing the rear to a 43T and avoid messing with washer / no washer discussion.

Ordered the JTR486.43T from Amazon:

The whole process took about 30-45 minutes.

Took off the rear wheel.
Took off the factory sprocket
put the new one.
Torqued the bolts
put the wheel back on
adjusted the chain

·
Registered
11 Posts
I decided to go with changing the rear to a 43T and avoid messing with washer / no washer discussion.

Took off the rear wheel.
put the new one.
Torqued the bolts
put the wheel back on
adjusted the chain
@Anchor thanks for the tip. Are you happy with the outcome?

·
Registered
230 Posts
The sprocket isn't OEM as it is an alternate and gets flags that it won't fit. Ignore the comment. This will happen with anything that isn't OEM. Same thing happens for every LED bulb that I have on my X300. They're not OEM and get flagged. The front is an easy swap out especially with an impact gun for the large 27mm nut on the front sprocket shaft.

·
Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
671 Posts

Took off the rear wheel.
put the new one.
Torqued the bolts
put the wheel back on
adjusted the chain
That’s probably a better route to go for similar ratio results to adding one to the front. There’s advantages to reducing mass from the drive line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Anchor thanks for the tip. Are you happy with the outcome?
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm still in the break-in period and not beating on the bike.
I'm not sure I've noticed any major difference. To me, acceleration feels fairly the same.
The speedo seems the same also. We have a few of those radar speed displays around town. Before the change, my speedo was showing 22 when the radar said 20, and around 27 when the radar said 30.

Still the same numbers. Probably the change is minor enough to show up at these low speeds.

But overall, believing the math, I'm mentally happier with the change.
During the break in period you are not supposed to exceed 4000 RPM. at that RPM, the bike goes around 34 which means actual ground speed is probably 30. I barely could go speed limit on some minor town roads.
With the change, I probably am going around 35 at 4K RPM, which means I'm not holding up the traffic.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
788 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm still in the break-in period and not beating on the bike.
I'm not sure I've noticed any major difference. To me, acceleration feels fairly the same.
The speedo seems the same also. We have a few of those radar speed displays around town. Before the change, my speedo was showing 22 when the radar said 20, and around 27 when the radar said 30.

Still the same numbers. Probably the change is minor enough to show up at these low speeds.

But overall, believing the math, I'm mentally happier with the change.
During the break in period you are not supposed to exceed 4000 RPM. at that RPM, the bike goes around 34 which means actual ground speed is probably 30. I barely could go speed limit on some minor town roads.
With the change, I probably am going around 35 at 4K RPM, which means I'm not holding up the traffic.
Keep in mind the sprocket change won't affect the speedometer on the x300. It reads off the rear wheel speed sensor (also functions as abs sensor if you have abs), so your speedo and the traffic speed signs will still be the same relationship as before.

Hope you enjoy the new gearing more once you start revving higher ! These 300s start getting fun about 8k rpms 😉

Reactions: Itsgordo
41 - 60 of 65 Posts