Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is from JT Sprockets

How one would get to Isreal I don't know.

Last resort I could buy you one and ship to Isreal but shipping won't be cheap.

What online shopping apps do you have there?

I shift down to 5th for almost every corner with 14T. What's the point of having a bike that revs like a MotoGP bike if you don't use it.
@waspmike, can you send the link to exactly where you bought this? Like @Daviddu, I can't find it anywhere?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can someone please send me a link to buy this 15t rubber sprocket ?
Thanks
David
This was my first attempt at a JT Sprockets 15 Tooth Rubber Cushion and a web site was in error and the sprocket that shipped to me was a 14 tooth rubber cushion so that was failure #1.
But see below for failure #2 and below that for a solution straight from JT Sprocket Technical staff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This was my second attempt at a JT Sprockets 15 Tooth Rubber Cushion and purchased part number JTF520.15RB and now know it WILL NOT WORK so that was failure #2.
But see below a solution straight from JT Sprocket Technical staff.

Any advice on the rear wheel alignment at the final step with the sprocket swap ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK - well I have good news. The company called J T Sprockets in fact does make a 15 Tooth with the large rubber cushions on both sides of the gear. As I stated just above my first attempt failed as the rubber wasn't on the gear but this time - Success.. It came today and it is exactly what is needed to change the front sprocket to 15 Tooth. The source is off of Amazon. My local Kawasaki dealer couldn't find this sprocket from there distributors online so it maybe a recent release - but here is where it came from - (note the JT Sprockets part number for reference)
Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF520.15RB 15 Tooth Rubber Cushioned Front Countershaft Sprocket: Automotive
Next is to get the new 15 T sprocket installed. Any advice on the rear wheel alignment at the final step with the sprocket swap ?
Nice. Yeah that's probably a recent release. I've never seen one before. JT is a good brand.

As far as wheel alignment goes. I just bought one of those wheel alignment tools from the local store for about $12. When I align with the tool, the wheel appears to be off by a couple of millimetres according to the marks on the swingarm. I trust the tool more.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice. Yeah that's probably a recent release. I've never seen one before. JT is a good brand.

As far as wheel alignment goes. I just bought one of those wheel alignment tools from the local store for about $12. When I align with the tool, the wheel appears to be off by a couple of millimetres according to the marks on the swingarm. I trust the tool more.
Vam, Where would I get this alignment tool ? Maybe from the Kawasaki dealer ? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pictures on the JT Sprockets web page show different bushing shapes for the 14 and 15 tooth sprockets. The 14 shows bushing hollowed out on only one side and the 15 hollowed out on both sides. This could impact alignment or ability to properly tighten. Make sure it sits same place on counter shaft. Only the 14 is listed as fitting the 300x. Let us know if it fits correctly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pictures on the JT Sprockets web page show different bushing shapes for the 14 and 15 tooth sprockets. The 14 shows bushing hollowed out on only one side and the 15 hollowed out on both sides. This could impact alignment or ability to properly tighten. Make sure it sits same place on counter shaft. Only the 14 is listed as fitting the 300x. Let us know if it fits correctly.
Fuzzy74-
This was my second attempt at a JT Sprockets 15 Tooth Rubber Cushion and purchased part number JTF520.15RB and now know it WILL NOT WORK so that was failure #2.
But see below for a solution straight from JT Sprocket Technical staff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think they're pretty easy to find at bike shops. I just went to my local and they had them right next to the counter. Otherwise easy to get off amazon.
Vam, Great ! So now I've got to put in the wrench time. The sprocket and on the front end a USB charging port on the dash and a trial fit of the H4 motorcycle LED bulb which means all the plastic cowls come off again. It's all good! Dave

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I wouldn't say more speed, specifically, because max speed in 6th might be less. I haven't tried because I am not interested in max speed.
You lose about 500/700 rpm at cruising speed in 6th. Unless one is into pulling stumps or a trials rider, I don't think 1st gear offroad will suffer.
I weigh 75 kgs so results may vary, et al..
that's correct. less top speed. to go as fast as this bike can, one would have to go on 5th gear. I personally think that factory gearing is optimal for this bike. the bike does not have enough power to pull strongly with higher gearing on 6th gear. it is high rpm bike, how should not worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
21,681 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
A VG one is made by "MOTION PRO". Here's a pic:

MotionPro tool by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
i wander which alignment tool works best. I have one with laser beam, so it allows to direct the beam further along the chain, even up to the front sprocket. I think that doctor evil (from Austin Powers) would prefer laser one:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
But see below for a solution straight from JT Sprocket Technical staff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I emailed JT Sprockets. Immediately got a phone call from one of JT's technical persons. He said there is a work around to have a JT Front Sprocket with 15 Tooth, 520 chain and Rubber Cushion.
So the issue is the alternate 520 chain 15 Tooth rubber cushion sprocket that is just the standard width of the 520 chain which is 5.8mm in width. But the Versys X300 stock setup requires 9.3mm in width. Kawasaki's fold over washer that is used between the outer most large nut (27mm) and the sprocket is a possible solution to fill the gap between the two ( 9.3mm minus the 5.8mm of the alternate sprocket).
At length the JT tech and I discussed the possibility of using a couple of these fold over washers on the transmission side of the sprocket then the sprocket then the normal fold over washer and finally the large 27mm nut. In other words fill the gap with the Kawasaki parts to make this work. The thinner alternate sprocket will be strong enough as it is used in bikes up to 1000cc. So no issue there.
I am hesitant to provide any part numbers yet. As I've done that twice up above in the message string and both times I've had to take the links (to the parts) back out. But this time I've got a JT solution with more confidence. Well- if this was easy anyone could do it. I have all the parts on order. This will take a few days to do the surgery on the Versys X300 and try this out. I have also order the chain alignment tool suggested above.
Thank you all for your patience as this has been a journey and I refuse to give up.
Dave

21 - 40 of 65 Posts