Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's,
I just bought my versys 300x, and i want to replace the front sprocket to 15t.
I searched all the web for a rubber 15t that fits the 300x but i dont find it anywhere.
Any clue where i can buy it? And send it to Israel?
Thanks in advance
David

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Is it the same as the one on a 650 Versys?
the one from 650 will not work. the 300's one has a special grove inside the sprocket. if I remember correctly, I did initially experimented with 15T sprocket from V650 (Vulcan S has the same sprocket), and I noticed some damage to the sprocket after coming from a trip. Anyway, I personally prefer 14T. This bike is too weak for 15T. When I wanted to go faster, I had downshift to 5th gear.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine is from JT Sprockets

How one would get to Isreal I don't know.

Last resort I could buy you one and ship to Isreal but shipping won't be cheap.

What online shopping apps do you have there?

When I wanted to go faster, I had downshift to 5th gear.
I shift down to 5th for almost every corner with 14T. What's the point of having a bike that revs like a MotoGP bike if you don't use it.

Reactions: Teddy and Burko

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Mine is from JT Sprockets

How one would get to Isreal I don't know.

Last resort I could buy you one and ship to Isreal but shipping won't be cheap.

What online shopping apps do you have there?

I shift down to 5th for almost every corner with 14T. What's the point of having a bike that revs like a MotoGP bike if you don't use it.
You should be able to import anything to Israel. I do all the time in Thailand. Downshifting while cornering is a different matter. I speak about trying to ride fast on highways. Try, maybe you will like 15T sprocket, but personally think 14th is optimal, as do some other members here. I lived in Israel in the past; at those time I rode Harley.

·
Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
679 Posts
I put on a 15t about a month ago. It’s ok, but I’m thinking I’ll put the 14t back on. I like that 1st is a bit taller. Rest seem a bit taller than optimal for the Vx. I might try dropping a tooth on the rear. That’s probably as far as I’ll go tho

·
Registered
592 Posts
Perhaps you will find that the "NBR" on the end of the part number refers to rubber cushioned.
As an alternative, a 43 tooth rear sprocket gives almost exactly the same gearing.

To those "I like my 14 tooth" people - it's a matter of choice. I changed my gearing mostly because 1st was useless, lower than any farm bike I have ever ridden, and I preferred to reduce the revs in top for highway cruising.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guy's,
I searched all the web for a rubber 15t that fits the 300x but i dont find it anywhere.
Thanks in advance
David
You could install a 43T rear sprocket which is about the same ratio as 15T at front. This way you don't need to look for a rubber front sprocket.

·
Read Only
43 Posts
Hi guy's,
Thanks in advance
David
I have 15t sprocket on mine, but still no seat off the pants torque. lol. The 300x is a great all around moto, I
am coming from a 1100gs and my Kawa can go anywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should be able to import anything to Israel. I do all the time in Thailand. Downshifting while cornering is a different matter. I speak about trying to ride fast on highways. Try, maybe you will like 15T sprocket, but personally think 14th is optimal, as do some other members here. I lived in Israel in the past; at those time I rode Harley.
I am a bit confused, doesn't the taller gearing make the top speed higher and low end torque weaker? Wouldn't an increase to 15 tooth make it go faster on highways?

·
Registered
125 Posts
IF you can hit rev limiter on flat ground in 6th gear then adding tooth to front sprocket may add to top speed. If not adding a tooth will probably drop your top speed as you will be at lower rpm with less power.

I can’t hit rev limiter in 6th gear with stock sprockets.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Changing Versys to 15T brings it into line with the Ninja gearing. But the Ninja will have less aero drag so will be a tad faster.

The answer to the question is 5 speeds with an overdrive. At 90 mph in 6th you've lost about 700 rpm. But can now get to 90 in 5th.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changing Versys to 15T brings it into line with the Ninja gearing. But the Ninja will have less aero drag so will be a tad faster.

The answer to the question is 5 speeds with an overdrive. At 90 mph in 6th you've lost about 700 rpm. But can now get to 90 in 5th.
Let me see if I understood correctly: Changing to a 15 tooth sprocket will allow you to reach more speed with less RPMs, but at the cost of power (acceleration). So the 1st no longer is a "granny gear" but 6th becomes a "cruising gear", and by that I mean you can maintain speed but you will need to downshift to 5th if you were to overtake, right?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wouldn't say more speed, specifically, because max speed in 6th might be less. I haven't tried because I am not interested in max speed.
You lose about 500/700 rpm at cruising speed in 6th. Unless one is into pulling stumps or a trials rider, I don't think 1st gear offroad will suffer.
I weigh 75 kgs so results may vary, et al..

·
Registered
21 Posts
the one from 650 will not work. the 300's one has a special grove inside the sprocket. if I remember correctly, I did initially experimented with 15T sprocket from V650 (Vulcan S has the same sprocket), and I noticed some damage to the sprocket after coming from a trip. Anyway, I personally prefer 14T. This bike is too weak for 15T. When I wanted to go faster, I had downshift to 5th gear.
What damage to the sprocket was there. I've haven't heard of anyone else having this problem...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts