Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, had enough of lubing those bobbins, at least on my bike that doesn't seem to work anymore. I'll try to clean the discs with wool steel, but don't have much faith in that either.

So, does anyone have an idea about aftermarket discs for this bike? Or for similar bikes that will fit on a Versys? I don't care about looks, all I care is a product that will last way more than 30,000km :mad:

Any suggestions are welcomed :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Invader,

are the discs specifically for Versys or are they for other models and fit the Versys as well? Hoping that I could find something cheaper for other models. If not, it will be a coin toss between Galfer and EBC :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Invader, at this rate, you might want to open a V shop or something...you've always got the dope on parts and tweaks....

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
:right: The dope... LOL! :interesting: :goodidea: :thanx:

I just find the answer when I don't already have it, so I'm learning a lot too. :dgi: Why just me? :rolleyes: I guess I'm a bit special... :hia: I keep thinking of more stuff to add and specify, so most of my posts are edited...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:right: The dope... LOL! :interesting: :goodidea: :thanx:

I just find the answer when I don't already have it, so I'm learning a lot too. :dgi: Why just me? :rolleyes: I guess I'm a bit special... :hia: I keep thinking of more stuff to add and specify, so most of my posts are edited...
thanks for the research and knowledge... well, I am good at research too, except that is in a different area...lol... I have no technical knowledge, except when something goes south and I have to learn about it :mad: ...lol

Back to the rotors, I really like the EBC with the SD thingy... If what they say is true than I won't have to change the bloody things again on this bike...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
EBC's Pro Lite rotor is cheaper from JC Motors ($196.83), but EBC's Contour is cheaper ($212.80) from Bike Bandit. (Actual un-copyable pic in JC Motors link)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my bike used with Braking rotors front and rear. I don't know if the pads are stock or after-market. I wouldn't say that the brakes have great feel, but they do not seem to be as bad as other's talk about. I've put on 3,500 kms. No problems. Since they came on the bike, I can't benchmark to stock.

I have the stock set which I can sell (best reasonable offer). I don't know how many miles they have on them other than less then the 7,000 kms the bike had when I bought it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought my bike used with Braking rotors front and rear. I don't know if the pads are stock or after-market. I wouldn't say that the brakes have great feel, but they do not seem to be as bad as other's talk about. I've put on 3,500 kms. No problems. Since they came on the bike, I can't benchmark to stock.

I have the stock set which I can sell (best reasonable offer). I don't know how many miles they have on them other than less then the 7,000 kms the bike had when I bought it.
You have a PM...

·
Registered
959 Posts
would you trust buying stuff like brake parts from HK. Its a long way to go to deamnd a refund if the parts aren't as described.

I don't mind taking a flyer on other items, but safety critical parts like brakes for me have to come from a reputable supplier. I might buy form an internet only house if I know where they are, if they have been trading for a while. Personally I'd be very very cautious of buying anything like that from an anonymous supplier in fleabay. but thats just one of my (many) hangups

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I'm lost here, is it that the stock rotors wear out fast???
Me too! What problems are you having with the stock rotors? I haven't had any. Yes, the brakes could use more feel, but SS lines help some and new pads helped a little more.

·
Registered
959 Posts
nah
I think its more likely to be complaining about pulsing in the brakes, which is often put down to discs warping but is more often due to the rotors not floating properly on the mounting plate. the rotor (the part that actually is contact with the pads) floats on circular rivets/ bearing surfaces which provides a degree of freedom or movement in the brakes compared to the mounting plate which is attached to the wheel

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I agree...I just never saw anything in the thread about what actual problem was occurring. The rotor threads have been fairly thorough in covering the floating disc issues. The next time I have my front wheel off, I guess I should lube the rivets, but so far I haven't experieinced any pulsing (18,000 miles).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts