Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm / clarify the following?

I'm probably using the wrong terms so want to understand better.

The Versys uses Upside Down Forks

The Versys does not use "cartridge" shocks.

The Versys uses orifice valve dampers, not disk valve.

Only one fork leg does damping (rebound & compression). The other leg is a free spring.

Is the above correct?
Could I be stating it better?

Thanx
Paul

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can anyone confirm / clarify the following?

I'm probably using the wrong terms so want to understand better.

The Versys uses Upside Down Forks.Correct they are referred to USD forks. this style fork is great for motorcycles due to the very high breaking forces

The Versys does not use "cartridge" shocks.correct again but the versys fork is referred to as a "open bath"

The Versys uses orifice valve dampers, not disk valve. yes that is correct for the rebound i believe. it is often referred to as a bleeder value. the compression i do believe is shim stack though which wehn setup right has variable damping characteristics depending on shaft speed (how fast the fork is compressed)

Only one fork leg does damping (rebound & compression). The other leg is a free spring. this is not correct. the versys has damping in but legs. USD forks have to have fairly equal damping in both legs to operate correcty

Is the above correct?
Could I be stating it better?

Thanx
Paul

Dan

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Actually, Wyorider who had his forks worked on by Race Tech as depicted in the link^, was told that the left fork has no damping whatsoever. Only the right fork carries the rebound adjustable damping cartridge... I'll have my forks apart again soon and will try to determine if left fork offers any compression or rebound damping to speak of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts