Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I attempt to make them, does anyone have any for sale? Looking to raise the front fender 1" or so to accommodate a 130/80/17 TKC 80.

thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd love to see that recipe succeed on a gen3 versys 650:
Just to refresh the requirements for raising the fender1" (to fit 120/90 tires, which would be 24mm ~= 1" higher than 120/70), here is the plan:

-the fender bracket must be steel (preferably stainless). Aluminum is forbidden in a highly stressed place like this because it would fatigue and crack.

-the crossover brake line must be 2" longer (1" each side of course) if i is to be held by current position of the line holder. This is easier said than found.

-otherwise, if one want to just bend the line back to rest tight on the fender, it will require a new securing line bracket position (I read some used zip ties...! I would rather drill holes and rivet the existing line holders some distance back (unverified; is that enough clearance anyway?)

-the rubber grommet around the line and abs sensor cable must be able to move along to the higher position of the line bracket, unless the line bracket happens to be evenly close to the caliper when moved back (unverified)

-the front wheel rotation (~8% more circumference than before) will be a bit less and the ratio to rear wheel rotation will change (whether it's by the rear abs ring or the front sprocket rotation sensor); if that throws off the ABS control unit (service code 25), this solution cannot be implemented. The hope is that the ABS unit learns the front:rear wheel rotation ratio when you roll a bit after ignition (as denoted by abs light turning off), to accomodate for different tire sizes or wear, But that is speculation.

---
To be honest, it's a little scary to play "design engineer & quality control" with safety components...

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
... - the fender bracket must be steel (preferably stainless). Aluminum is forbidden in a highly stressed place like this because it would fatigue and crack....
I raised the front fender on my '08 (a Gen 1) using aluminum for the bracket, and it STILL works PDG after probably 80,000 miles (out of 92,xxx miles).

DSC07613 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC07514 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

OTOH I have NOT considered raising the fender on my '15 because of the ABS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts