Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I find that the front brakes of my 2014 Versys 650 not effective enough as in when I squeezed the lever hard the bike is still braking gently unlike my Street Triple that will 'bite' whenever I pressed the lever.

Read from few bike reviews that the brakes are not really up to the expectation but just enough to perform its duty.

Would like to hear some advice before I do up the brakes, thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,782 Posts
My 09 brakes well , in fact i have fixed Anti Lock system in the brake line so that I don,t have a front lock out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Replacing the pads with EBC HH (or similar) will make a significant improvement. Replacing the rubber brake lines with braided stainless steel lines will improve the feel of the brakes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Strange, I've tested the Yamaha MT07GT and MT09GT (both brand new demo bikes with about 300km on the clock), the Vstrom 650 (2000km demo bike) and the Versys650 (4000km demo bike) and found the Versys having the best brakes in both braking power and feel of the bunch. Even though "professional reviewers" say the yammies have the best brakes.

Maybe you were/are used to the bite of the Tripple's brakes, but the Versys' brakes will also put the bike on it's nose with only two fingers.

Or, there could be something else going on.
How long have you owned the bike?
Were the brakes serviced every two years? Changing fluid every 2 years is a must, bleeding all air is too. If there's still air in the system, the brakes will feel mushy and the pads might stay in permanent contact with the discs, which will cause both the pads and discs to overheat and glaze (had that on my XR, air was trapped in a passage in the caliper, keeping a little pressure on the pads). After that, they'll never brake like they should unless you sand them all down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Replacing the pads with EBC HH (or similar) will make a significant improvement. Replacing the rubber brake lines with braided stainless steel lines will improve the feel of the brakes.
I agree in full here. I can't really speak to the stock setup but I bought my 2011 V650 with Galfer SS brake lines and HH sintered pads installed by the prior owner. They definitely bite as hard as I ever seem to need them to.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Look like I'll need to work on it. Maybe bleed the system and replaced a pair of new brake pads first.
Thank you
THAT is what I suggest you do - REALLY improved my '08 when I did them last week!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange, I've tested the Yamaha MT07GT and MT09GT (both brand new demo bikes with about 300km on the clock), the Vstrom 650 (2000km demo bike) and the Versys650 (4000km demo bike) and found the Versys having the best brakes in both braking power and feel of the bunch. Even though "professional reviewers" say the yammies have the best brakes.

Maybe you were/are used to the bite of the Tripple's brakes, but the Versys' brakes will also put the bike on it's nose with only two fingers.

Or, there could be something else going on.
How long have you owned the bike?
Were the brakes serviced every two years? Changing fluid every 2 years is a must, bleeding all air is too. If there's still air in the system, the brakes will feel mushy and the pads might stay in permanent contact with the discs, which will cause both the pads and discs to overheat and glaze (had that on my XR, air was trapped in a passage in the caliper, keeping a little pressure on the pads). After that, they'll never brake like they should unless you sand them all down.
It's a pre owned unit that was close to 6 yrs of ownership by 2 different owners.
History of maintenance not sure and I will need to go thru all these you've advised.

Definitely feels like air trapped, will visit Kawasaki dealer and get it sorted out.
Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe this will be good enough as I'm not looking for high speed braking like racer but only need it for last minute E-braking. Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts