Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to my purchase of the V I was riding a Suzuki V-Strom. One of the performance upgrades I performed to the V-Strom was a front brake caliper upgrade using readily available 4 piston Tokico calipers and a bracket kit designed and manufactured by SV Racing Parts.

I was thinking that this would be an upgrade to do to the V but I was unable to find the bracket kit so I contacted Blair Layton at SV concerning a bracket kit. Below is my inquiry and his response:

Hello Blair,

Have you ever considered developing a front brake caliper adapter kit for
the Kawasaki Versys for the same calipers that can be used with the V-Strom
kits. I have been unable to find a source for a kit to fit the Versys.

IMHO the Versys has the same brake performance as the stock V-Strom brakes and a caliper upgrade would be a definite plus.

I installed one of your kits on my '09 Wee and was quite impressed with the
upgrade. The brake upgrade improved the front brakes from merely adequate to excellent 2 finger braking. Unfortunately the Wee was totaled in a collision
this past October.

Hi Bob, That is a project that I hope to get done this coming riding season,

I will be posting up when they are available,

Thank you for all your support, I appreciate it.

Let me know whenever you want any performance parts for your bikes, like
Chain and Sprocket Combinations, Galfer lifetime guaranteed SS Brake Lines
or their superb brake pads for example,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

W. Blair Layton
SV Racing Parts
[email protected]
www.svracingparts.com

If anyone else is interested in a bracket kit I would suggest contacting him to show your interest.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I sent him a note, thanks for the heads up, I hope he does it! :thumb:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not to be funny, but coming from a KLR I think the brakes on the Versys are great.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
Not to be funny, but coming from a KLR I think the brakes on the Versys are great.

Mark
X 2!!!

Plus - I've been able to lock the front wheel at speed (did NOT mean to!) on my V, so I don't see the need for MORE front brake! :goodluck:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Riding along with my head in the clouds the other day (not recommended). Suddenly realized the car in front of me was stopping to turn left and I grabbed a fistful of front brake (stupid). :eek: I was lucky to let go of front brake quick enough and was able to stop using both braakes with no mishap. IMO the front brakes are good the way they are. Any better and I would have been in big trouble.

PS practice those emergency stops!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I've been looking for such an upgrade as well but a fork rework would be needed as well to quiet down the excessive front end dive that will accompany any braking improvement.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I can lock the front wheel with 2 fingers. I think that the feel can be improved with a set of aftermarket brake hoses and different compound pads.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is a good caliper to upgrade to?
The bracket kits that SV produces for the V-Strom uses either GSXR or 600F4 calipers. If you go to SV's site all the caliper info is available.

I used the GSXR Tokico calipers and was very pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The bracket kits that SV produces for the V-Strom uses either GSXR or 600F4 calipers. If you go to SV's site all the caliper info is available.

I used the GSXR Tokico calipers and was very pleased with them.
What would be a ball park cost for the Versys (providing the parts were available)?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would be a ball park cost for the Versys (providing the parts were available)?
blipco,

SV sells the V-Strom caliper bracket kit for $75.00.
I lucked out and was able to find a low mile set of nice calipers on FleaBay for $80 or $85 shipped if I remember correctly.
Galfer brake lines for the V run approx. $90.00 plus shipping and I always install SpeedBleeders on my bikes which are $7.00 per caliper plus shipping.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
There are caliper bracket adapters that are said to be for both V-Strom (DL) and Versys.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=versys+caliper+adapter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Wouldn't SV Racing Parts' adapters also work on the Versys??

http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#ecwid:category=465963&mode=product&product=1632834

Perhaps, but according to BRP, it's not neccessary with available pad upgrades, braided steel lines and synthetic DOT 4.

http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2319&start=0

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I've been looking for such an upgrade as well but a fork rework would be needed as well to quiet down the excessive front end dive that will accompany any braking improvement.
Good point... Are you already at maximum fork spring preload? I had to with stock 10W fork oil. Much better now with 13W (stock oil height) and 3 turns out from max preload. Progressive fork springs would help, although I've capped my forks at about 20F, to have about 5 psi more than atmospheric pressure in the forks' air space in 70F ambient temperature.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Come spring I'm finally going to spend a day to dial in my suspension (best I can). I have already installed SS brake lines and went with a Galfer Green pad. They're not HH but I've used them in the past with good results. Sometimes I worry the HH will be too rough on the rotors. I won't mod the forks until they need a cleaning.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Original Tokico pads are actually HH rated... My Vesrah JL HH pads were still a good upgrade. They now have even better performing pads like the RJL, as noted by BRP.

"The old EBC HH's were junk. Problem was the backing plate transferring heat to the pistons. Lots of warp. From the input I have received, the (EBC) EXP's stop every bit as well as the (Vesrah) RJL's and last longer."

http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2319&start=0

Vesrah racing brake pads available in RJL, SRJL 17, and SRJL 8 compounds, as listed for EX-650 (#VD-354).

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_42.htm

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really do like my new 2010 Versys but unfortunately it has to have some of the worst brakes of any late model bike available. So instead of constantly complaining about it, I fixed it. A pair of used Brembo 4 piston 2 pad calipers, a new Nissin Daytona 19mm radial master cylinder kit complete with brake light switch and mirror mount, a custom brake line from Spieglerusa and oh yeah a homemade adapter bracket I had proper brakes. While not cheap I think I was only out $500.00 or so which is not bad considering how well it turned out. Since I race dirt bikes I'm used to dealing with long travel front forks on hard braking so it's not much of an issue if you let the front end settle under braking then you have wonderful powerful and controlable front brake. Now I'm looking at putting a Brembo caliper on the rear to give better feel and power. Hopefully the SVracing guys come out with a caliper bracket kit for the Versys for Nissin or Tokico calipers like they did for SV's soon as good brakes are your best friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
xdnok, I like it. The rear needs no more power. With the front dive the rear lightens and locks easy. Maybe just SS line for the rear to improve feel?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts