Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, glad to see a North American Versys forum. The other forum is great, but most of the info for mods/accessories originate in Europe.

Anyway, about me, I've been riding since I was 13, 47 now. Many many bikes over the years. I currently own a 'chopped' 02 Honda Spirit that is for sale, and my current everyday ride, an 05 Kawi Meanstreak.

So why am I here? Good question that I wish their was a simple answer to. I've been lusting after two very different bikes. A Yamaha FJR Sport Tourer, and, the Versys. I will be buying one of them in the next month or so. It's driving me crazy though, I keep flip flopping between them! I'm pretty sure the Versys is going to get the nod though. Most of my riding is around town and short day trips. Throw in *CRAPPY* roads where the long travel suspension of the Versys will be really appreciated.

Anyway, enough of this book. I'll be here regularly at least for the next couple of months and possibly, MUCH longer :D

-Steve

·
Registered
469 Posts
Funny, but the salesman who sold my the Versys rides a FJR and he told me that he seriously was thinking of trading it for the V.

I do a lot of touring since my job puts me on a road trip each week. To me the V is a great touring and around town bike. I'm really impressed in how well it handles and runs. Plus, I'll take a light weight bike any day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, but the salesman who sold my the Versys rides a FJR and he told me that he seriously was thinking of trading it for the V.

I do a lot of touring since my job puts me on a road trip each week. To me the V is a great touring and around town bike. I'm really impressed in how well it handles and runs. Plus, I'll take a light weight bike any day.
I'm with you on the light thing. My Meanstreak is 640 dry and puts out about 70hp - thats 9.14 lbs/hp. The Versys is 399 (dry) and lets call it 60 hp (I know I know, but I've seen claims from the high 50's to 71) still.. 6.65 lbs/hp.

Throw in the cheap(er) insurance, fun factor, availability of hard luggage and how it matches both my riding style and habits and its a winner for me.

That being said, their are financial reasons for me to switch. Being out of debt and saving it sounds really good to me. Still, I know I'd be lusting after the FJR (or even a BMW F800ST) constantly.

No matter whether I pop for one or not, I like keeping up on the various forums and researching new bikes.

Keep your right hand cranked!
-Steve

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Bungie4, welcome (not sure I can say that only been here 24 hours myself).

I sold my Honda ST1300 (very similar to FJR) to get the Versys. I wanted something light, but I could still go touring with it. I do about 12k a year-Seattle down left coast, Denver CO, Scottsdale AZ, plus up into BC and AB. I was never so happy to get rid of the ST, its a lump. Fast and fun, but the agility of the V is outstanding.

My neighbor rides an FJR and have had plenty of chance to ride it. Great bike, fast, quicker than the ST, but you'll need risers to make it as comfortable as the V. Plus, if you are not buying new there is a SERIOUS heat issue on the FJR, 07's and on its was cured. Obviously a man like you isn't concerned about the money issue:D, but you can get 2 Versys for the price of an FJR. Then spend hours buying overpriced stuff from Germany like I do.
Machog

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not to mention maintenance cost of the beemer and others. The V takes little upkeep. BMW = Bring More Wallet

Had the V for less than 2 months and have 7000 miles on it. I'd be nuts to go with another bike no matter if I were rich or poor.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You must be living in a good climate. I'm in So Cal for a few months and managed about 1000 in the first 3 weeks! Don't think I'm going to catch you for a while.

Machog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You must be living in a good climate. I'm in So Cal for a few months and managed about 1000 in the first 3 weeks! Don't think I'm going to catch you for a while.

Machog
Sorry, thats funny to me. I haven't so much as SEEN either of my bikes since Nov. Living in Northern Ontario will do that. Its just less painful that way. Outta sight outta mind.

Just as a point of reference, I avg about 20Km (about 12000 miles) a year on my scoots. Keep in mind my riding season runs from April-May to Oct-Nov.

I took a run up to a dealer 50 miles from here to test sit they Versys. Fits GOOD. Nice 'n light. He would actually let me test drive it if the weather was rideable (good guys!). I told him we talk turkey in March-April if they still have it. Even at that, he'll call me before he sells either one (two 07's, one black one orange).

-Steve
Lusting for spring

1 - 7 of 7 Posts