Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible or necessary to install frame sliders and crash bars for extra protection? I have the SW Motech crash bars installed now. Not sure where the sliders would attach.

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
LOL @waltermitty

Actually it is... When?

Points of impact from front to back are:
Front suspension lower mount
Bar Ends
Lower engine crank and gearbox covers
Side farings
Foot Pegs
Rear Swingarm
Rear passenger grab Handles

So the SW-Motech engine guard protects by keeping the engine off the ground, hence protecting the Lower engine Crank and Gearbox covers, but also can help keep the side farings off the ground - You do not need frame slider then.

Front axel and Rear Spool sliders will protect the front axel mount, and rear swingarm.

BarkBusters help protect your levers, hands and Master Cylinder.

Not much else you can do.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
LOL @waltermitty

Actually it is... When?

Points of impact from front to back are:
Front suspension lower mount
Bar Ends
Lower engine crank and gearbox covers
Side farings
Foot Pegs
Rear Swingarm
Rear passenger grab Handles

So the SW-Motech engine guard protects by keeping the engine off the ground, hence protecting the Lower engine Crank and Gearbox covers, but also can help keep the side farings off the ground - You do not need frame slider then.

Front axel and Rear Spool sliders will protect the front axel mount, and rear swingarm.

BarkBusters help protect your levers, hands and Master Cylinder.

Not much else you can do.
Does anyone have a good source for front axel and rear spool sliders that will fit a V?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just keep in mind that rear spool sliders can actually do more harm than good. On the Ninja forums, I've seen a couple that have gone down and the rear spool slider tore the mounting hole right off the swingarm, leaving a hole on the underside.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just keep in mind that rear spool sliders can actually do more harm than good. On the Ninja forums, I've seen a couple that have gone down and the rear spool slider tore the mounting hole right off the swingarm, leaving a hole on the underside.
My left spool tore off in a crash at the track. It didn't leave a hole, though. On my bike, the spool screwed into a tab that was welded onto the underside of the swingarm. That tab was ripped off in the crash at the welding seam, but there's not a hole in the swingarm, unless somehow I missed it.

I keep meaning to find a shop that will fabricate and weld on a new tab.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My left spool tore off in a crash at the track. It didn't leave a hole, though. On my bike, the spool screwed into a tab that was welded onto the underside of the swingarm. That tab was ripped off in the crash at the welding seam, but there's not a hole in the swingarm, unless somehow I missed it.

I keep meaning to find a shop that will fabricate and weld on a new tab.
A friend of mine is cutting one for me now. It might not end up on the bike now that I picked up someone else's swingarm. If you're interested, PM me.

BTW Thanks @Pecko :)

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
What frame sliders have some of you used for your V? I am thinking of getting a set for my 14.
search - there are not many frame sliders around.
Puig
Kawasaki Sliders

rear swing arm sliders
Driven

front sliders
any 10mm through bolt will work
T-Rex ?

You are better with the SW-Motech crash bars as the frame slider cost the same amount and protect less.
Driven Rear Axel slider and front axel sliders.

Search eBay for ideas, type in: versys sliders -(spool, spools, bar end, bar ends)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
LSL offers frame sliders for the V. I have them on my 2011.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have sw motech bars and they protected the bike just fine when i went down on the right side
the only damage was to bar end, mirror, handguard, front signal light and rear shad rack-attached signal light

1 - 16 of 16 Posts