Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Versys 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what would be the cost to replace OEM forks-shocks on a 2008 Versys 650?

It was leaking on the ride side. I had the seller fix it.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
As long as your forks are NOT leaking (and had been re-filled correctly...), they should be good for a VERY long time. My '08 has 95,626 miles on its OEM forks w/ just a couple of oil-changes AND a set of "FORK-SKINS" to protect the seals, as well as a Yamaha R-1 shock that's been ON for more than 50K of them. BOTH items are visible in this pic:

IMG_1633 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
2008 Versys 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as your forks are NOT leaking (and had been re-filled correctly...), they should be good for a VERY long time. My '08 has 95,626 miles on its OEM forks w/ just a couple of oil-changes AND a set of "FORK-SKINS" to protect the seals, as well as a Yamaha R-1 shock that's been ON for more than 50K of them. BOTH items are visible in this pic:

IMG_1633 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
Thank you, Ed.
May I ask what brand are those saddles?

How's the fire situation in the Okanagan?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I personally fitted the Versys 1000 forks on 650. at least they are not so skinny. i am not saying that this is the way to go, as the conversion is very expensive, but just saying.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just wondering what would be the cost to replace OEM forks-shocks on a 2008 Versys 650?

sounds like your question is about the cost of replacing the fork seals. if you remove the forks and take them to a dealer, say about $175 USD. labor, oil seals, dust seals, bushings, oil. simple job. no reason to replace the forks or shock themselves unless you're looking for a performance upgrade, for which there are many options, and the sky is the limit cost wise.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Versys 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally fitted the Versys 1000 forks on 650. at least they are not so skinny. i am not saying that this is the way to go, as the conversion is very expensive, but just saying.
Thank you. Your solution make sense.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts

I rebuilt my front forks with new seals and new fluid and performance was much improved. Only 1L of fluid is required and new seals are minimal. See many threads on this. Cost is minimal. Do use synthetic fluid. Ensure you have no scratches or gouges on fork legs causing damage to seals. These will need to be sanded out.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
See if you can find a DIY motorcycle garage to help you do the work yourself. There are a few in TO and they will also have special tools like fork seal drivers. You can get parts at FortNine. Amsoil Signature Series synthetic (red) Automatic Transmission Fluid is identical to OEM fork oil in viscosity however most transmission fluids are not.

See this thread What I learned from doing my forks - that the manual...

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
Here are two BETTER views of my FORK SKINS.

IMG_1011 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0355 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

PLUS a view of my '15 V650 (from about FIVE years ago - June '16 - on a D2D ride) when I saw that I needed my forks 'fixed'.

P6265295 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6265296 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

BOTH sides had the seals start leaking around 19,000 kms (11,800 miles) in Alaska. Got the seals replaced once I returned to Kelowna (@ 22,800 kms) and UNDER WARRANTY!!!, then ADDED "FORK SKINS" and at 87,438 kms my forks are still AOK!!!

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have a 2009 Versys and I fixed my leaking fork seals by using a Seal Mate to clear out any dust and dirt that was causing the leak. It's a simple and cheap fix you could try before getting into fork fluid replacement. In fact, you could make one yourself by cutting the same shape out of a 1 gallon plastic milk bottle. Here's a link to Seal Mate's site: Seal Mate Will Fix Your Leaky Fork Seals Guaranteed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts