Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been a good while since I posted--guess it's a good sign I've been riding my V instead! As the weather turns colder here in Michigan, it's time for me to do some service to my '09 V-650. One of my fork seals started to go this summer. Temporarily repaired it with a seal saver, but I'm going to need to replace them over the winter. While I'm at it, I thought I'd change out the fork springs & do some other service. I've read through what I can find here and serviced other USD forks, but I figure I'll ask:

• Does anyone have a preferred source for fork seals, wipers, etc.? I thought I'd replace the bushings (44065 & 44065A), wiper (92093), & seals (92049).
  • While I'm in there I thought I'd change out my fork springs. I've been eyeing getting a HyperPro Street box. Any thoughts on them on the V?
  • Anything else I should tackle while I've got the wheels off?
  • Any must-acquire tools for servicing the V's forks?
  • Once I've got new seals on there, any thoughts on Shock Sox or other fork seal guards--are they worth it? This bike is my go-to commuting bike, rain or shine, so I could see having a bit of extra protection.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi all,

Been a good while since I posted--guess it's a good sign I've been riding my V instead! As the weather turns colder here in Michigan, it's time for me to do some service to my '09 V-650. One of my fork seals started to go this summer. Temporarily repaired it with a seal saver, but I'm going to need to replace them over the winter. While I'm at it, I thought I'd change out the fork springs & do some other service. I've read through what I can find here and serviced other USD forks, but I figure I'll ask:

• Does anyone have a preferred source for fork seals, wipers, etc.? I thought I'd replace the bushings (44065 & 44065A), wiper (92093), & seals (92049).
  • While I'm in there I thought I'd change out my fork springs. I've been eyeing getting a HyperPro Street box. Any thoughts on them on the V?
  • Once I've got new seals on there, any thoughts on Shock Sox or other fork seal guards--are they worth it? This bike is my go-to commuting bike, rain or shine, so I could see having a bit of extra protection.
i have the luxury of several good suspension shops here in the bay area. i just pop off the tubes and take them in. $225 for the service including seals covers and whatever weight oil we decide on.
https://www.crstuning.com/who-we-are/
https://superplushsuspension.com/

we also have moto guild. you go and work on your bike in a rented station. they have the tools. you can have tires delivered there. they have classes for stuff you don't know.
https://motoguild-sf.com/

i've had hyperpro springs and shocks on a couple of bikes. they are nice for sure. the definitely civilized the rides.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
[*]Any must-acquire tools for servicing the V's forks?....
Yes - try SEARCH for making a fork-tool from the nut from a semi-truck.

[*]Once I've got new seals on there, any thoughts on Shock Sox or other fork seal guards--are they worth it? This bike is my go-to commuting bike, rain or shine, so I could see having a bit of extra protection....
Yes - seals went on my '15 V650 at about 10,000 miles (repaired under warranty), and NOW have about 46,600. GREAT since I added "FORK SKINS".

P4170911 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hi all,

You will need to buy or borrow a fork seal driver. You will also need to make a fork tool like the one I posted in the stickied thread out of a scrap of sheet steel.

You will find it helpful to make a fork removal tool. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/131730-shock-fork-oil-change-front-gen3-versys-650-a.html#post1589315

You will also need to buy or build a fork seal driver.

It is helpful to have 2 people to insert the fork tool above that holds the spring down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

Thanks for the input! I sure appreciate the guide fasteddie, as well as the tool suggestions all! Fall turned pretty hectic, so this has turned into a bit of a late-winter project. Decided while I'm doing the forks, I might as well tackle a number of things on the bike. I'll be sure to update with pictures as I go along.

Ordered a HyperPro Street Box for the bike, so I'll be swapping suspension front/rear. I haven't updated the brake lines as of yet either, so I'll be putting on some Galfer braided cables as well. While I'm at it I'm doing a head-to-toe on the bike (valves, air filter, bearings, greasing, etc.). Considering adding a gear indicator now as well--does anyone know if the cheaper Ebay copies will work, or do you think it's worth splurging for the spendier GIPro unit?

All ready for some work!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts