Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25k miles, 2+ years... and lots of off road time! It looks like I am going to have to replace the seals on the forks... getting some gooeyness going on down there now....
is this a DIY kinda project for someone who knows how to use tools and does most of his own work on the bike?
Anything else recommended while I'm down there?
I have not touched anything in or on the forks, so they are as they came from the factory.... being a offroad kinda guy, I was wondering if any of you have recommendations on stuff I may want to do to the forks while I have them apart.
Thicker oil? Thinner oil? Stiffer springs? Springier springs? Just asking away... honestly I have not had any real issues with the stock set up off road... but I'm always looking to add a little boost of ability where I can...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
There are a couple of guys here that really know their stuff, hopefully they'll chime in. The factory seals are the best, IMO, go with them.

·
Registered
944 Posts
After 25k, and with a lot of rougher riding, I'd say you're ready to do a fluid change as well as just the seals. This involves pulling the forks, so special tools needed.

I did mine to Gustavo Spec, thinner oil, bigger air gap- See his excellent thread on the other Versys forum here-
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=5461.0

Seems like it took a lot of the harshness out of the fork and let me add some more rebound damping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts