Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Forks out for an oil service today and modifying (again) the compression shim stack, to give a more compliant ride
:028:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle

My first modified Shim Stack arrangement looked like this (y)

My latest shim stack arrangement is now now going to look like this (y)

11mm x 0.40mm = GREY - Clamping Washer
09mm x 0.15mm = GREEN - Spacer Shim
14mm x 0.12mm = YELLOW - Shim
15mm x 0.12mm = PURPLE - Shim
16mm x 0.12mm = RED - Shim
17mm x 0.12mm = BLUE - Shim

The OEM / Stock Setup.also had
Air Gap - Right / Left fork = 75mm / 65mm
Kawasaki recommended fork oil for the Versys is SHOWA SS-8, which has a [email protected]° of 36.8

My Setups have

Air Gap - Right / Left fork = 110mm / 100mm.
The fork oil that has a [email protected]° in the range of 28 to 30.
E.g. a 30% / 70% mix of Motul light (5w) and Motul medium (10w) will make fork oil with a [email protected]° of 29

EDIT
The result of the test ride is as follows:

I am happy with the result. :cool:
The low speed compression damping has not changed but the Medium to High damping is a little bit better / more composed and subtle (y)

If you have already changed the shim stack arrangement to my Version 1, then it is not worth changing to Version 2 above and doing just that on its own, ie wait until you are doing a fork oil service which should be done every 3 years (y)

HOWEVER: if you have never changed the shim stack on your Mk1 & M2 Versys, it worth doing ASAP and going straight for the Version 2 shim stack arrangement, as it is a vast improvement over the poor OEM setup (y)

·
Registered
versys 650 2008 orange
129 Posts
That is an interesting thread. This is what I'll be doing in the winter.

What's the latest shim stack and oil mix for 75kg / 160 lbs rider with no gear? I have motorex here. Belray is pretty expensive here.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts